Small Tank Mate For Betta

Bettafishies126

Anything small like a snail that can go in a 2.5 Gal with a betta? I just want something to eat leftover food and such, but I hear snails reproduce like crazy and I don't want that. Edit: The tank is 5 gallons and divided with 2 bettas, so I didn't think the bioload of a snail or shrimp would be a problem

75g Discus Tank

I wouldn't do bettas with any tank mates in less than a 10 gallon.

To clean up leftover food, do more WCs, gravel vacs, and feed a little less.

BReefer97

Unfortunately no, nothing can go in with a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. That’s the minimum for just a single betta.

If you really want some small shrimp or snails with your betta, I would get a 10 gallon tank and set it up however you like. At my local fish store a 10 gallon is only $18, you would only need a filter and a heater.

Annora

I only have room for a 5gal with my betta. Can I get him a couple ghost shrimp? They have plenty of places to hide. Will also be getting a moss ball.

Unfortunately no, nothing can go in with a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. That’s the minimum for just a single betta.

If you really want some small shrimp or snails with your betta, I would get a 10 gallon tank and set it up however you like. At my local fish store a 10 gallon is only $18, you would only need a filter and a heater.
You must be registered to see images

Kristian Acevedo

I have 2 red cherry shrimp in my 2.5g with my betta boy Mikal, and all has been well. But your betta might find them a yummy snack

Bettafishies126

At my local fish store my 5 gallon was $60

I have 2 red cherry shrimp in my 2.5g with my betta boy Mikal, and all has been well. But your betta might find them a yummy snack
Thanks I don't know if this has any affect on the problems that bioloaf brings with snails, but the tank is actually 5 gallons with only 2 fish in it, it's just divided, that's why I figured a snail was okay

Frozen One

Thanks I don't know if this has any affect on the problems that bioloaf brings with snails, but the tank is actually 5 gallons with only 2 fish in it, it's just divided, that's why I figured a snail was okay

You can get a 29 gallon tank at petco right now for $33

Bettafishies126

We don't have petco where I live, I've never seen a petco in Canada before

Frozen One

We don't have petco where I live, I've never seen a petco in Canada before

Well that sucks ... kinda lol

toran

Personally, I think two Bettas in a 5 gallon is too much.
Having said that... have you considered a horned nerite snail? They are cute, a little bigger than a pea and if they lay eggs they won't hatch. They need brackish water to hatch.

CanadianFishFan

Having said that... have you considered a horned nerite snail? They are cute, a little bigger than a pea and if they lay eggs they won't hatch. They need brackish water to hatch.
How so... I wanted to divide my 5 gallon so I could save two bettas... It would be 2.5gallons on each side so that's better then a unfiltered non heated small cup. Instead of someone putting three bettas in a divided 1 gallon *COUGH* I JUST SAW *COUGH* so I think its fine.

toran

How so... I wanted to divide my 5 gallon so I could save two bettas... It would be 2.5gallons on each side so that's better then a unfiltered non heated small cup. Instead of someone putting three bettas in a divided 1 gallon *COUGH* I JUST SAW *COUGH* so I think its fine.
True they sell 2.5 gallon tanks and smaller.
I did say 'personally'. A 5 gallon tank is the smallest I personally would put a Betta in.
I commend you for wanting to save 2 Bettas. It breaks my heart to see them in the tiny cups.
I wasn't trying to say "No, you can't do that."

david1978

After having them in a big tank and seeing how active they can be it changed my whole outlook and everything I was told about them. Personally I haven't even had water in a 10 since I was a child.

Bettafishies126

Thanks, they're pretty snails my tanks have never grown algae besides a little bit of orange in my old tank, would this be a problem? What all do they eat?

toran

Thanks, they're pretty snails my tanks have never grown algae besides a little bit of orange in my old tank, would this be a problem? What all do they eat?
They would eat the biofilm in the tank. Do you use Indian almond leaves? Mine eat those down to where just the veins are left, LOL.
A couple times a week I put in a veggie or spirulina pellet, nuke for 30 seconds a piece of carrot, zucchini, cucumber or try other veggies.

Bettafishies126

They would eat the biofilm in the tank. Do you use Indian almond leaves? Mine eat those down to where just the veins are left, LOL.
A couple times a week I put in a veggie or spirulina pellet, nuke for 30 seconds a piece of carrot, zucchini, cucumber or try other veggies.
I've never tried Indian almond leaves, but I have moss balls for both of my bettas would the snail eat those? I hope not. Is biofilm the layer that sometimes accumulates ontop of the water?

toran

I've never tried Indian almond leaves, but I have moss balls for both of my bettas would the snail eat those? I hope not. Is biofilm the layer that sometimes accumulates ontop of the water?
Hi,
Biofilm are micro organisms on every surface of the tank. They are harmless. It could perhaps be the layer on your surface.
The snails won't eat the moss ball but they will move around on it looking for yummies to eat.

CanadianFishFan

Hi,
Biofilm are micro organisms on every surface of the tank. They are harmless. It could perhaps be the layer on your surface.
The snails won't eat the moss ball but they will move around on it looking for yummies to eat.
"yummies" lol

BReefer97

You would be surprised how much snails poop and foul up a tank, that’s why I wouldn’t suggest anything other than a single betta in a 2.5 gallon (whether it’s a divided 5 gallon or not doesn’t make a difference, it’s still only 2.5 gallons). And sitting here watching how my betta utilizes every inch of his 5 gallon tank, and imagining that cut in half with also the addition of shrimp/snails just seems like a pain in the butt.

But I’m just warning you, snails poop. A LOT.

luckdown

You would be surprised how much snails poop and foul up a tank, that’s why I wouldn’t suggest anything other than a single betta in a 2.5 gallon (whether it’s a divided 5 gallon or not doesn’t make a difference, it’s still only 2.5 gallons). And sitting here watching how my betta utilizes every inch of his 5 gallon tank, and imagining that cut in half with also the addition of shrimp/snails just seems like a pain in the butt.

But I’m just warning you, snails poop. A LOT.

Omg yeah they do. I swear I just cleaned my container with pest snails... It took SO long to clean it there was so much poop. I get it all nice and not even an hour late and the entire floor is completely covered in poop again!

There's only ten tiny little snails in there

MaximumRide14

Lol where do you find that deal? Is it only the tank, not the kit right? Haha I’m always trying to find good deals.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Jonahtheplecolvr
  • Question
Replies
Views
Pinina
Replies