Small Tank Fish Compatibility

1. Henboy10

Henboy10 New Member Member

Hello

Could someone tell me if Glowlite Tetras would do well with GloFish Tetras (I think they are actually called White Skirt Tetras)

Thanks!

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

It should be fine. You might get a little of chasing from the white skirts but as long as you keep them in their own groups of 6+ then they’ll usually keep the chasing and nipping to themselves.

3. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Agreed with the above. It also depends on the tank size and how heavily planted it is. Would you mind giving us some of that information?

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

What is the actual tank size and how many of each fish are we talking about? Do you already have fish in the tank or are you just planning?

5. OP
    OP
    Henboy10

I feel like I didn't plan this out very well... I have about a 4 gallon tank with 2 Glowlite Tetras and 2 GloFish Tetras (White Skirt) together. I have noticed the occasional chasing from the White Skirts. I'm an absolute beginner, I did some research prior to getting the fish, and from what I saw, both are very good with others.

I have a feeling something isn't quite right because of the chasing...

6. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Oh... These guys need at least a 20-gallon tank. You should definitely upgrade the tank immediately or return them and get something like a betta fish instead. Do you know of the nitrogen cycle? You may need help with that as well.

7. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

They are chasing because each tetra type requires its own school of at least 6 bare minimum. So, having 2 different types of tetra means you need to have at least 12 fish.

4 gallons is not even close to enough. You need a 20 gallon tank to house 2 schools of 6 tetras. 15 gallons minimum. If you go with bigger schools then you need an even bigger tank.

8. OP
    OP
    Henboy10

Alright! Thanks guys, I will go do that.

9. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

We were all beginners at one point and made beginner mistakes. Fortunately you have come to the right place to find answers to all your questions.

I am really happy to hear that you are willing to go ahead and get your water pets the proper home.