small tank advice

1. yEvb0 Initiate Member

Hello all,

I decided to set up my first tank, and recently acquired a used Eclipse 6 gallon. After doing some research, I realized that given another chance, I'd probably want to look for something larger, but as it is, I'm going to work with what I've got. It's currently set up and cycling with a filter, heater, and aerator. Now it's time to think about fish. I've read the "Small Tank Setup" article, but I could use some more advice.

I was thinking of getting two Cory catfish (some small variety...I'm open to suggestions), and a third fish that will do well on it's own. I originally thought of a small type of goldfish (I know they're not tropical, but I've heard of them coexisting well with Corys), and recently have been considering a dwarf Gourami or a Betta, but I want to make sure that it won't be too aggressive in such a small tank.

Thoughts on these?
    Are there any other fish/options I should consider?
    Thanks!

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

cories like sand much better than gravel and they do better in goups of 3 or more so i would rule out cories unless you wanted to get another one and one betta and did large water changes and had an excellent filter so what is it just my advice but do you want to get another one or get other fish

3. vin Well Known Member Member

Sand or smooth gravel will accommodate the corys nicely. I would strongly advise against the goldfish for two reasons

1. They tend to carry disease
    2. They are a cool water fish.

Since your tank is small, your choices may be a bit limited. A betta would do fine on its own, but adding anything else beyond that may be tough.

You could add some Endlers Livebearers. An AWESOME little fish that stays at about 1" long. Check them out here...... http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1584&N=0

The males are so vibrantly colored and they would be fine if you got 3 or 4 since they stay so small. And then you can do either a Betta or a Dwarf Gourami.

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i would add the betta last then and let the endlers become full grown or else they might get eaten but are you suggesting he/she gets cories vin because if he/she does then the tank will be fully stocked anyways depending on the cory also but i am not aware of a cory staying under 2 inches so minimum 4 inches of fish and betta make 5 so under stocked isnt bad either so what are you saying vin???????

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I think the betta would be more suited to your tank. Any goldfish is much too messy for your size tank and also will grow too big. ;)

6. yEvb0 Initiate Member

I've decided against the goldfish for sure.

I have some medium sized gravel that doesn't seem sharp, so maybe the cats would be okay. However, going with three at minimum would make it tough to have anything else. I guess it's a choice between them and something else. The idea for small ones came from here: http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=299 , but i don't know how accurate this is...

I'm a he, btw :)

7. vin Well Known Member Member

No, just commenting on the substrate if they decided to go the Cory route......I would much rather see them go the Endlers/Gourami route......

3-4 Endlers and a Male Neon Blue Dwarf or Red Flame Dwarf Gourami.

8. vin Well Known Member Member

Corys will get to the 2-1/2" - 3" range....(6.5 - 7.5 cm) so they would probably outgrow your tank fairly quickly.

9. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

I personaly would go the betta with 2 corys route just to be safe

10. vin Well Known Member Member

IMO, Corys would be miserable with only two......A minimum of 3 would be preferred but that would max the tank out.