Small Rant- Something that continues to bother me (:

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
So being a younger adult, I am on Tik Tok, and one thing that never ceases to pop up on my For You Page is betta tik toks. I honestly just scroll now since it just frustrates me to no end, but soo many people just keep their fish in crappy jars and 2 gallon tanks. While my comment wont do anything to change... I try sometime. But probably the thing that gets me the most is when people completely negate the cycle of a tank because their tank is above the minimum of 5 gallons, heated and filtered. One thing I really stand by, and will not change my mindset on, is this: "if you don't cycle your tank or understand the nitrogen cycle, you are not properly caring for that animal". There really is no way to maintain proper water quality in a tank if the tank is not cycled. There's also a bunch of misinformation that goes along with fish-in cycles. Basically along the lines of: I got my fish and now i'm doing a fish in cycle, when they don't actually do anything differently then normal weekly maintenance. Now don't get me wrong, I do fish in cycles all the time, but I test the water often, use prime and do water changes when I see a spikes. It takes effort ya know.

What I have concluded this mindset to be is the following: I will not take criticism or advice that conflicts with what I am doing. This is because if I accept that what I'm doing is not correct, then I have to also accept the guilt that I did not properly care for that animal. Therefor the mindset is filled with conformation bias, they only look for conformation that what they are doing is OK and actually adequate.

Side note: I also post on tik tok about my fish if anyone wants to check it out :) Mostly betta stuff atm. username is marett_aa

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What's Tik tok? My girlfriend I think uses it a lot. I still can't figure it out.. or any social media for that matter

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Mike1995 said:
What's Tik tok? My girlfriend I think uses it a lot. I still can't figure it out.. or any social media for that matter
Haha it’s an app. It’s kinda like the new musically or vine ish. But it’s also got very different content.

AquEric

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tic toc how often does the little bird come out do you scroll the hands around and around. Haha just kidding trying to make you laugh

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've bred a few hundred species of fish, some that most aquarists would have trouble keeping alive. I've never tested for ammonia or nitrates, and I've never "cycled" a tank. There are ways around it, but I don't talk about them on FL as I actually agree that beginners should understand the nitrogen cycle in their aquaria. Never ignore something you don't understand. But make sure you really understand, don't just keep doing things by rote.

I don't shame people for how they care for their fish, either. I will make suggestions - "I really would not keep an Oscar in a 10 gallon tank" - when it is truly important to the animal's survival. But going midieval on them for keeping a single male betta in a two gallon tank? That's excessive. However, I went through that debate with some of the Betta keepers here, and realized quickly that fanatics don't change their tune even in the face of irrefutable facts. Say that you don't believe in keeping a Betta in a tank that small, but don't tell someone that they can't or shouldn't.

People on tik-tok, or facebook, or whatever, are showing you something that they are proud of. Instead of insulting them, suggest that they come by Fish Lore, where there are lots more people who might appreciate their fish, and maybe help them with keeping it better. If they come and look, they will learn something whether they like it or not!

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since you mentioned bettas, I'm curious about something. I see people talking about cycling a tank before adding a betta, but on a tank 5 gallons or larger will a single betta produce enough waste to ever be a problem before the bacteria colony can develop to handle it?

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
Since you mentioned bettas, I'm curious about something. I see people talking about cycling a tank before adding a betta, but on a tank 5 gallons or larger will a single betta produce enough waste to ever be a problem before the bacteria colony can develop to handle it?
Absolutely, even in a 10g I get spikes of ammonia with my 1 betta. It’s not really a challenge, but you can’t just ignore it. Especially in a 5g, 1 betta can get the ammonia fairly high before the tank cycled.
chromedome52 said:
I've bred a few hundred species of fish, some that most aquarists would have trouble keeping alive. I've never tested for ammonia or nitrates, and I've never "cycled" a tank. There are ways around it, but I don't talk about them on FL as I actually agree that beginners should understand the nitrogen cycle in their aquaria. Never ignore something you don't understand. But make sure you really understand, don't just keep doing things by rote.

I don't shame people for how they care for their fish, either. I will make suggestions - "I really would not keep an Oscar in a 10 gallon tank" - when it is truly important to the animal's survival. But going midieval on them for keeping a single male betta in a two gallon tank? That's excessive. However, I went through that debate with some of the Betta keepers here, and realized quickly that fanatics don't change their tune even in the face of irrefutable facts. Say that you don't believe in keeping a Betta in a tank that small, but don't tell someone that they can't or shouldn't.

People on tik-tok, or facebook, or whatever, are showing you something that they are proud of. Instead of insulting them, suggest that they come by Fish Lore, where there are lots more people who might appreciate their fish, and maybe help them with keeping it better. If they come and look, they will learn something whether they like it or not!
Yeah I totally get that. I totally get not having to test water or “cycle” since you are not a beginner. Where I’m coming from is seeing people who are beginners completely ignore that part of fish keeping. What your talking about is being very experienced to the point of not really having that need, but what I see so often is just the whole nitrogen cycle being ignored when they never learned it in the first place. In all honesty I don’t even test my tanks that often but I know they are cycled and I don’t need to constantly check. I wish more people understood that it’s just a little more complex then having a fish in a glass box, but all in all, once you learn that part, it’s easy. Betta is how lots of people get into the hobby and I wasn’t to encourage that, but just because it’s seen as an beginner fish does not mean they don’t need to be kept to the minimum standards.

I also just want to be clear, I’m not shaming people online, while I have my frustration, I’m not being rude or aggressive towards people because that only leads to them being defensive of what they are doing. I actually have suggested this site to people before as well as other resources. My own frustration says with me and “rants” like this.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
Tik Tok is like treating Tiger King as if it was Shakespeare.

people are acting up like 2 year old for attention.

it screams negative reinforcement - so little attention given in youth, they cannot discern good from bad.

Water off a ducks butt - pick and chose fights. I game MMORPGs last 20+ years. It's just fun. But as I got older, i saw the generation divide. A young man acted a fool in WoW few year ago and I made an comment, not mean just factual & he sent me a message to apoligize. I truly think his behavior was because he craved recognition any way he could get it. he wasn't bad or stupid, just a lost soul.

tik tok is like an MMORPG, every trash talking but without the quest rewards :)

"Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing. " MacBeth pretty much nails the tik tok (and most social media) crowd imo. lol

Caffee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FreshwaterHG said:
So being a younger adult, I am on Tik Tok, and one thing that never ceases to pop up on my For You Page is betta tik toks. I honestly just scroll now since it just frustrates me to no end, but soo many people just keep their fish in crappy jars and 2 gallon tanks. While my comment wont do anything to change... I try sometime. But probably the thing that gets me the most is when people completely negate the cycle of a tank because their tank is above the minimum of 5 gallons, heated and filtered. One thing I really stand by, and will not change my mindset on, is this: "if you don't cycle your tank or understand the nitrogen cycle, you are not properly caring for that animal". There really is no way to maintain proper water quality in a tank if the tank is not cycled. There's also a bunch of misinformation that goes along with fish-in cycles. Basically along the lines of: I got my fish and now i'm doing a fish in cycle, when they don't actually do anything differently then normal weekly maintenance. Now don't get me wrong, I do fish in cycles all the time, but I test the water often, use prime and do water changes when I see a spikes. It takes effort ya know.

What I have concluded this mindset to be is the following: I will not take criticism or advice that conflicts with what I am doing. This is because if I accept that what I'm doing is not correct, then I have to also accept the guilt that I did not properly care for that animal. Therefor the mindset is filled with conformation bias, they only look for conformation that what they are doing is OK and actually adequate.

Side note: I also post on tik tok about my fish if anyone wants to check it out :) Mostly betta stuff atm. username is marett_aa
Another young adult here :stop: i know what you mean. Tiktok is jack full of disturbing animal content imo. So many people who either dont bother to do their research before owning an animal or just dont care to. Saw a girl who put her two bettas together in a single 2.5 gal because she thought the one betta was going to die due to the filter suddenly not working midst exclaiming how scared she was they were going to kill eachother. She then claimed that the two bettas mated and had eggs (both bettas were clearly male). She goes on to try and justify why she doesnt use water conditioner. Its clear that it was just another “oh betta fish are just fish afterall, lets buy one and not bother to care about it then act like we care when its dead.” Makes me sad how we justify an animals worth based on species or intelligence. I get it, sometimes people dont know everything in animal care, but thats just pure neglect and lack of care for another living creature you decided to take responsibility for.

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Caffee said:
Another young adult here :stop: i know what you mean. Tiktok is jack full of disturbing animal content imo. So many people who either dont bother to do their research before owning an animal or just dont care to. Saw a girl who put her two bettas together in a single 2.5 gal because she thought the one betta was going to die due to the filter suddenly not working midst exclaiming how scared she was they were going to kill eachother. She then claimed that the two bettas mated and had eggs (both bettas were clearly male). She goes on to try and justify why she doesnt use water conditioner. Its clear that it was just another “oh betta fish are just fish afterall, lets buy one and not bother to care about it then act like we care when its dead.” Makes me sad how we justify an animals worth based on species or intelligence. I get it, sometimes people dont know everything in animal care, but thats just pure neglect and lack of care for another living creature you decided to take responsibility for.
Oh gosh. That’s some of the worst I’ve heard of. Yeah I just don’t get people. If you think it’s “just a fish” then let it be just someone else’s fish. Don’t own it, simple.

Kaptain

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FreshwaterHG said:

Fish TikTok infuriates me agh
I’ve seen so many videos of people putting bettas in those itty bitty wall hangers and at this point I’ve given up trying to say something because I always get harassed for being a “TikTok vet”
Like oh wow imagine actually caring for a animal’s quality of life

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Kaptain said:
Fish TikTok infuriates me agh
I’ve seen so many videos of people putting bettas in those itty bitty wall hangers and at this point I’ve given up trying to say something because I always get harassed for being a “TikTok vet”
Like oh wow imagine actually caring for a animal’s quality of life
One thing that also baffles me is people who not only pull the “Tik tok vet” card but the “there are more important things to care about”. I can care and advocate for more then one thing at a time? Also I’m literally getting my degree in marine biology since this is my passion so.... sorry I care about it? I also have given up and just scroll.

Kaptain

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FreshwaterHG said:
One thing that also baffles me is people who not only pull the “Tik tok vet” card but the “there are more important things to care about”. I can care and advocate for more then one thing at a time? Also I’m literally getting my degree in marine biology since this is my passion so.... sorry I care about it? I also have given up and just scroll.
E X A C T L Y
I’m not even planning to get a degree in anything like marine biology but I’m still passionate about proper fish care, it’s like shoving a puppy in a shoebox and saying “oh it’s just a dog who cares”

New Threads