Small problem...

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by ThatOneAquarist, Jul 25, 2015.

1. T

ThatOneAquarist Valued Member Member

So I recently set up a 55 gallon as some of you may know by now. but I made the mistake of only leaving myself 3 inches from the wall and im pretty sure the HOBs im looking at need 4 inches or more (fluval c4 or aquaclear 70, if these can fit without me moving anything please let me know) im tempted to get a canister but cant afford a 306 so im looking at the SunSun branded Hw-404b (on amazon) so if anyone has experience with sunsun please speak up. Thanks for reading, I may have to find a way to remove a lot of water and move the tank forward .

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  2. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

I personally don't use Sunsun filters, but a lot of people seem to like them. In my opinion, even a cheap canister is better than the best HOB filter. If it fits your budget, I'd recommend getting the Sunsun canister. You'll have better filtration than an HOB and not have to go through the hassle of moving the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks for the reply, that's probably what im gonna do.

4. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Even with your canister...you'll want a little access to the back of the tank. You should see me try to use a algae magnet with a small area between wall and tank. It is an absolute pain if the tank is too close to the wall.

5. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks guys, I solved my problem. I got brave and just lifted the end a little and moved it two more inches away.

6. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Had to do the same thing a couple months ago, worked out fine.

7. OP
    OP
    T

Yeah it wasn't as heavy as people make it out to be, I was really just scared it would slide off the stand.

8. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

I can see me trying that! That son of a gun would start tipping and like a Harley...when it starts going down...there is no stopping it.

9. OP
    OP
    T

Just wondering would you guys recommend a low GPH canister (penn plax 700 that sort of thing) or a high (ish) gph HOB (aqueon 55/77 with a DIY media setup, these have 400gph and I plan on having two)

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely a canister. Canisters don't require as much GPH because of the amount of media they can hold compared to HOBs. Usually 5x GPH is good enough. What tank size are you talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    T

Its a 55 gallon

12. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok so if you went with a canister, at least something with 275 GPH should be alright.

13. OP
    OP
    T

Alright cool, thanks for the info

14. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Keep in mind that once you pack the canister full of media the gph will be lower, so you might want to get one that's rated a little higher than you need.

I have a sunsun 304b in my 40g breeder and love it so far. It holds a TON of media and runs quietly. :)
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  15. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

I have a Sunsun HW505-A which I think the only difference between the other 264gph is this one has an extra media tray. On Sunsun models the A signifies no UV sterilizer, and the B models are with UV sterilizers. I love my Sunsun, it was very well priced, was not that bad to clean (first time cleaning a Canister) and it holds a ton of media. From the bottom up I have Coarse sponge, Fine floss pads, Fluval Biomax Rings, and lastly Seachem Matrix topped with one last fine pad. I have about 2 liters of biomedia in the thing. It runs in my 55g along with 2x whisper 30i internals for a total of about 564 gph. Its nice because it doesnt have to be cleaned nearly as often either.

16. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I have a sunsun 302, works fine for me.

If I'm not mistaken they are the same exact filters as the aquatop brand but at about 1/3-1/2 the price.

17. OP
    OP
    T

Glad to see people on here have experience with sunsun, I was looking at them, but as you can probably understand skeptical. Is the 505 a good filter Bluestreakfl ?

18. Bluestreakfl

It's worked great for me so far. It's a tad large for its given GPH but again it's because it has an extra tray and holds tons of media. They make several of the 264gph models, I'm just one of those people that likes to have a TON of biomedia. I got mine on eBay for around I wanna say $55 with free shipping.

Also when I cleaned it out for the first time last week, I was amazed at how much gunk it was able to trap. The sponges and pads were pretty gnarly. They all cleaned up well though and unhooking it for cleaning actually wasn't bad at all. I was intimidated at first but it turned out to be very friendly.

19. OP
    OP
    T

What size tank do you have it on? I cant find that model on amazon I may have to look on ebay (ugh), but if it works well itll be worth it

20. Bluestreakfl

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice