Small Or Big Tank?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by MarvinTheBetta, Nov 6, 2018.

1. MarvinTheBetta

MarvinTheBetta Valued Member Member

If you read this thank you. I need help knowing if I should get the 75 gallon tank I want and buy corals and fish after I set it up, or get an already set up 32 gallon for only 900 dollars that has everything you need including fish and corals ready to take home? Thanks for reading please respond

2. Potato1

Potato1 New Member Member

It really depends on the amount of money you want to spend, and the kind of fish you want to get. In the long run the bigger aquarium is going to be more expensive in terms of the amount of water it uses but the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate will be easier to keep on top of. If you have aquariums of a similar size to the 32 gallon and want to try something new then I would say go for the 75g.

The 75 gallon does seem like an interesting idea but it requires more work and money, if you are up for that then go ahead!

Try writing a pro and con list?

3. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Of course, we can't really decide this for you.;)

The 32g will get you there faster but you'd have to learn how to care for a reef tank real quick.

The 75g will cost more to equip and maintain but would allow you to approach reefing at a slow and steady pace, and I'm always a fan of that.

If you want to jump in, then I would ask, have you been researching the particulars about reefing? About nutrient control and management of trace elements like calcium and alkalinity? How about the way you'll provide good water for the tank? Reef tanks require pure/RODI water with added salt. Now, you could (and should) get a RODI unit, use a quality salt, and mix your own water. Or, you could buy RODI water, which eventually costs more than a unit, and still mix your own. This is the only way to know precisely what's in the water you're offering to sensitive corals. The other option is buying saltwater from an LFS, but this gets pretty expensive, and it's a pain to have to haul water all the time. It's also risky, because the consumer may not know when the LFS water has an issue or if the levels of anything in it have changed. LFS water should never be fully trusted imo.

The value in the 32g deal would also largely depend on what exactly is included with the 32g, in regards to both equipment and livestock. A healthy, well-established 32g reef is certainly worthy of the price if it's also set up with excellent equipment, (i.e. pumps, lights, filtration, etc.) If it's really good equipment and large beautiful corals, it might just be a steal.:p If the person is also getting rid of water change equipment like a container, a pump, and heater, well, you may as well get that too.

The 75g will also, of course, give you more stocking room. :)

4. OP
    OP
    MarvinTheBetta

MarvinTheBetta Valued Member Member

I have been reasearching for a while now. The 32 if full of nice corals, fish, and has good lighting and filtration. It comes with everything you need to run the tank. It was at my local fish store and used to be a display tank until they got the newer version of the tank and put the old on for sale. All together it added up to a 1800 dollar value for only 900 dollars. I will probably get the 32. Thank you!

I think I will go with the 32. I don’t want to spend to very much, and it comes with everything I need and I can live with the fish for that good of a deal. Thank you for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice