Question Small, non nipper schooling fish

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi guys,

I've been keeping my betta, Howl, in my community tank. He loves it there, gets along well with the other fish. Cept the cherry barbs who have been apparently munching on his tail. SO! ATM Howl is by himself in my maternity tank and he is NOT happy with me :3
Tomorrow I'm gonna try grab a second hand tank from a garage sale, and I'm going to move the cherrys into it and stock it just with barbs and maybe a gourami. Then move Howl back to the big tank.

So my question is... what is a nice, tetra sized schooling fish that is bright coloured and wont A. Nip my betta, or B. be food for my betta.

The betta is violet/blue/red and I have cardinals. So I would like something either a nice bold colour, but I could be pursuaded by a pretty silver.

Interested in clouds but worried they're a little too small and Mr Betta will think they're edible. He might not be able to swallow them, but he could stress them.

Any ideas? There are so many out there so I thought it'd try cut my search short by asking opinions

Was interested in Blue tetras but I hear they nip too.

Last edited:

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could try Danios, though some people have stated that they nip others fishs fins but I have never had a problem. I had 6.. But they got killed by my convicts

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
danios are too crazy for a betta...I think they would stress him out big time clouds like cooler water than a betta....what size is the tank? you could go for some cories, snails, or maybe even some shrimp if you have a ton of java moss....otherwise, the stress of other fish might get to howl

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OK here are the tank stats...
140L tank, about 90cm x 45cmx45cm. So its VERY big. Has 4 peppered corys, 9cardinal tetras, OH and 10 adolescent mollies (but they might be moved with the cherrys so when they get bigger Howl doesnt eat their tails). Still tons of room for more fish. Theres pics of it in another thread of mine somewhere. I'm going to bump the cardinals up to 12 and corys to 5, but I want 1 more schooling fish. I'll prob get 10 of them eventually.

Tank temp sits at 28.

Howls very agitated in his little 13L tank now.

Note: Howl currently gets on fantasticly well with the tetras, mollies and cories. Eats side by side with them, and steals the algae wafers. Though yesterday he did eat a whole tablet of frozen blood worm by himself. Chased everyone off and stuffed himself.

Last edited:

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK here are the tank stats...
140L tank, about 90cm x 45cmx45cm. So its VERY big. Has 4 peppered corys, 9cardinal tetras, OH and 10 adolescent mollies (but they might be moved with the cherrys so when they get bigger Howl doesnt eat their tails). Still tons of room for more fish. Theres pics of it in another thread of mine somewhere. I'm going to bump the cardinals up to 12 and corys to 5, but I want 1 more schooling fish. I'll prob get 10 of them eventually.

Tank temp sits at 28.

Howls very agitated in his little 13L tank now.

Note: Howl currently gets on fantasticly well with the tetras, mollies and cories. Eats side by side with them, and steals the algae wafers. Though yesterday he did eat a whole tablet of frozen blood worm by himself. Chased everyone off and stuffed himself.
I would leave howl in his 13L tank if it were me...and add some things to entertain him...sometimes a small bubble stone, a plastic hampster tubing, even fluffly silk plants will help...and maybe give him a few snails to intermix with ...I think in time, he will enjoy the tank for himself and he will do much better in that one than with all the fish in that tank

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The tank may be 13L but it is mighty small. I really don't like keeping him in there. I normally just use it for fry. It gets crowded with just 1 adult mollie and 2 plants in it. I don't know what it is about the tank, but it always seems smaller than other tanks with the same litre capacity. So small its ridiculously hard to clean, even with just a tube.

Also the inbuilt filter for it has a current thats a little too strong. I have it turned off, but it still takes up a smack of room.

EDIT:

What about Scissor tail Rasbora?? Scrap that, noticed it gets too big

Glowlight danio?!??!

Last edited:

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept several different bettas with pygmy cories and they didn't pay any attention to each other. If you have a really mild mannered betta, some ghost shrimp or Amano shrimp can make nice tank mates. IMO bettas really don't like schooling fish that go all over the tank like tetras, danios, etc., nor do they like fast swimming tank mates. They tend to get nervous and stressed by them.

edit- glowlight danio I believe is danio choprae.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm with Shawnie on this one. I'd leave Howl in the 3g and use a turkey baster for clean up.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Actually I think I decided what to do. I have a nice dimension 70L back in Perth that I'm shipping up in about a month. I think when I get that the betta can go in there with just some tetras and snails. Would also be a good tank to divide in 3 for more bettas if I feel like it later on.

I'm still gonna go to the garage sale and see if I can score a bargain! Want to start a planted tank :3

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Again, tetras and other schooling fish do not agree with the betta. Instead, like other members said, there can be other tankmates if your betta tolerates them. Here's a list of possible tankmates:

5 gallon:

Ghost shrimp

Red cherry shrimp

Amano shrimp

[actually, any type of freshwater dwarf shrimp will work]

Any type of freshwater snail EXCEPT the large apples (Pomacea caniculata)

10 gallon:

All of above, or

Pygmy corydoras

Kuhli loaches

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hengels! I have some and they are lovely with my betta! They can be hard to track down though

Your situation is difficult with all those tanks... 70l sounds good though! still on the big side... I would put some cories or some rasboras (especially planted!)

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hengels! I have some and they are lovely with my betta! They can be hard to track down though

Your situation is difficult with all those tanks... 70l sounds good though! still on the big side... I would put some cories or some rasboras (especially planted!) in there too

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I recommend that you house Howl in a tank (heated and filtered) all to himself as Betta's aren't a big fan of having tank mates. With him having fin damage now I wouldn't risk it again. Things may be fine for a while but eventually things are going to take a turn for the worse. Someone will end up injured or even killed.

To help him heal his fins keep his water as pristine as possible to help prevent secondary infections. Add some Stress Coat or Nova Aqua to reduce stress and add some body slime. Vita Chem for extra vitamins and Garlic Guard to help to boost the immune system. Fresh garlic juice (from the grocery store) will work well too. Just add a couple of drops onto the fish food. Make sure the garlic is in water and not oil. See link below:
minced garlic in a jar..just an example for those needing it

Best of luck for a full recovery!

Ken

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My betta tolerates mollies and tetras fine. The cherries didn't tolerate him, and since being in a tank on his own he has somehow managed to tear his tail 3 times. So minor nibbles have turned into 3 giant tears !! ARG. Def tears coz today I checked and he had 2 tears, 20 mins later looked again and 3. Fin rot isnt THAT fast. Can't work out what on earth he tore it on, everything passed the stocking test. So he had his decorations removed, including the filter and all he has is java moss now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom