Small nano shrimp tank....

thefishdude277

So I was lurking around a hobby store and I was looking for a case to put my scale aircraft models. When I got home, I tested it, and it didn't work... the wingspan of the plane was a bit too long...
So I flipped it over and it looked just like an aquarium!
Here are its dimensions
Length: 8.5 in
Width: 4 in
Height: 4.5
How many gallons is this? Can I keep RCS in here?

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1428194006.960857.jpg

It has a bowfront, too

CLam

I don't do shrimp, but it looks like you have a half-gallon.

Anders247

Yeah, that'd be okay for a few shrimp.

thefishdude277

Anders247 said:
Yeah, that'd be okay for a few shrimp.
Yes! I'm totally doing this. The "tank" is rimless and has curved corners,so it looks modern.
Hehe, it was only $4

Anders247

Nice! I'd bet you'd be able to fit a small sponge filter in there too. What type of rock?

Tennesseecowboy

I have something similar looking that I'm planning on putting shrimp in, only its around 3 and a half gallons Problem is, I can't seem to find any locally lol. Can't wait to see your progress though!

thefishdude277

Can I go without filtration? Since the shrimp don't produce that much bioload. I can do water changes easily, since it is a small "tank"
The rock is going to be those aquascaping ones. Still thinking....
Any heater suggestions? My house is always cold so I need one

thefishdude277

Tennesseecowboy said:
I have something similar looking that I'm planning on putting shrimp in, only its around 3 and a half gallons Problem is, I can't seem to find any locally lol. Can't wait to see your progress though!
You can always order online. But since my LFS has these, I'm getting them there.

Anders247

thefishdude277 said:
Can I go without filtration? Since the shrimp don't produce that much bioload. I can do water changes easily, since it is a small "tank"
The rock is going to be those aquascaping ones. Still thinking....
Any heater suggestions? My house is always cold so I need one
Yeah, I think you can. RCS can handle lower temps too, since you are in CA I don't think that's an issue.

thefishdude277

Yea, I can just remove some water and replace it with some new water with a cup. This is what I love about small tanks.
Any heater suggestions?

Anders247

See my edit.

thefishdude277

Oh....
So it is 59-61 degrees on average in my house. Is that too cold? I live in northern cal..so

Anders247

Yeah, that's a bit too cold for them. Can you find one of those heater pads?

thefishdude277

Like the ones you put on your back? Or the ones that are actual heaters?

Anders247

thefishdude277 said:
Like the ones you put on your back? Or the ones that are actual heaters?
Lol, the ones you put on your back. Just kidding! No, I meant the actual heaters. LOL

thefishdude277

Lol
Umm are those 2-5 gallon ones good? That's the smallest ones I could find

Anders247

Yes, those are fine. You could also use a lamp to heat the water.

thefishdude277

nice....

thefishdude277

How about this one? Can I bury this under the substrate, or does it have to be above?

Anders247

Good! thefishdude277, yes you can bury it under the substrate.

thefishdude277

Can it be put under the sand?

Anders247

Yes, you can.

thefishdude277

Wait, nvm about the flat heater, it won't fit in the tank(lol)
I found one that is the standard tube shaped ones. It's also designed for 2-5 gallon aquariums

Anders247

thefishdude277 said:
Wait, nvm about the flat heater, it won't fit in the tank(lol)
I found one that is the standard tube shaped ones. It's also designed for 2-5 gallon aquariums
That's better!

thefishdude277

Good

Zapfish

thefishdude277 said:
How about this one? Can I bury this under the substrate, or does it have to be above?
Yes. I have this in my 2.5. Just make sure that there is water flow near the heater

thefishdude277

Zapfish said:
Yes. I have this in my 2.5. Just make sure that there is water flow near the heater
I don't think I need water flow, since the "tank" is small. The heat can distribute on its own.

thefishdude277

thefishdude277

I'll go with 75. Since 82 makes their lifespan shorter. I don't want them to be so cold either

Bajoc

If you use more plants you won't need filtration. But a small sponge filter would be best (be ause it also aerates)

thefishdude277

Bajoc said:
If you use more plants you won't need filtration. But a small sponge filter would be best (be ause it also aerates)
Yes, I am going to add Java moss. I don't think I need a filter anyways, since it can use a cup and scoop out some water and replace it. It's only 0.5 gallons

Vyvid

I would think above to evenly distribute heat throughout the water without having to heat all the sand first (not an expert but just makes sense to me)

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom