Small HOB filter recommendation

elisa001

HI everyone I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 neon tetras. It had a betta but he passed away and I plan on getting another one along with some shrimp. Currently I have a sponge filter and it’s just not cutting it.

Any recommendations? The most important thing to me is that the filter is quiet. I plan on making modifications so the flow/intake is not too strong for the little guys.

TWiG87

A bigger sponge or an Aquaclear HOB. They are very customizable

vampireshrimpfan

The marineland penguin is a option even though it isn't as quit as an aquaclear ( If you come up to the tank you could here it but as far as 3 feet away and you don't hear anything ).

vampireshrimpfan

The marineland penguin is a option even though it isn't as quit as an aquaclear ( If you come up to the tank you could here it but as far as 3 feet away and you don't hear anything ).
There is a lot of space inside the filter so you can add stuff to it but I don't know about everything else.

tuffcookie

Aquaclear. I have one on my 16g and one on a new 10g. It’s very quiet. The only problem I have is with the waterfall sound but that is very easily fixed with a piece of sponge or a plastic water bottle

david1978

I'm an aquaclear guy but the little azoo filters look like a nice fit for a small tank.

elisa001

I have penguins on my larger tanks it is my favorite filter and I was going to buy the smaller version but it had bad reviews on Amazon so I was exploring other options.

ayeayeron

TopFin 10 gallon filter, I like it because it has adjustable flow.

flyinGourami

The Marina ten works well, but it would work better if you added more media(media that is very efficient such as seachem matrix media), as the media it comes with isn't the best. Aquaclears also work well, they do have more room for media but the Marina is a little more quiet and looks better(based off of reviews on amazon). If you care more about how efficient the filter is, I go with the aquaclear. If you want more on the look of the filter and how loud it is I would go with Marina, but both are pretty quiet honestly.

Islandvic

Either the filter JettsPapa suggested or a Top Fin Silentstream 20.

I use Aquaclears and I like them.

I also have the Silentstream 20 on a 10g. No cartridge, replaced it with other media.

I like how its quiet and the flow is adjustable.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views
Ebreus
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views