Small Food For Juvenille Cardinal Tetras?

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My new tetras are tiny little guys, maybe 1/2" tops or smaller. I've had mixed results feeding them so far. Even my New Life Spectrum small fish formula (0.5mm pellets) is too big for them. I also have some fluval bug bites I've tried and they can get some of them because they are very irregular in size and some are smaller than others, so the danios tend to pick off the bigger bits while the tetras get some of the smaller ones. But not sure how much they're really getting...

I also tried some freeze dried brine shrimp (soaked in tank water), and a lot of the chunks are too big for them too although again they can get some bits of it.

Is there something better that would be uniformly sized and appropriate for them?

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know why I didn't think of that...

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They can take a few days to get acclimatized to the new aquarium before they will feed with enthusiasm.

When they are ready they should eat crushed flake readily. I also have Hikari micro pellets for them. These can be made even smaller if necessary by rubbing between fingers and thumb.

Remember to only put dried hands into the food. Water will spoil it.

Something I feed I believe is very good for them is Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp. I pour it into small pots and freeze it in thin layers and chip bits off - it lasts much longer then. It seems expensive but if you do this it lasts for ages. I shake a chip in some water to thaw and distribute the nauplii and pour it into the tank. The current moves it around and the fish seem to love feeding on these tiny morsels.

I can also buy frozen tiny bloodworm in cubes and breed live daphnia and cyclops in my water butt.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom