Small Floating Plant

blindfaith429

Valued Member
Reaction score
Recently got some Amano shrimp from the LFS. When netting the shrimp, a small piece of the plants came off and went in the bag.

If i recall correctly, the shrimp tank had a lot of them in the tank, so most of the top surface was covered.

I really like this plant, but not sure how it reproduces, or if I need to buy more.

I took pics of the piece I got. If we cant identify it here, I can always call the LFS.

Thanks

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The same thing happened to me getting shrimp a while back. I think its frogbit not sure if the above mentions is the same thing with just a different name. ( not good with the technical names ) I had it in my outside 29 and being in the sun it covered the entire top from starting with 3-4 pieces your size.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
it's actually dwarf water lettuce lol

you will end up with more, it reproduces fairly quickly.
This, it is called Pistia Striatiotes and grows quite a bit larger than salvinia or duckweed, with long trailing roots. It will start popping out runners that develop into new plants in no time. Prune regularly as it grow very fast. (and under no circumstances toss it anywhere other than the trash, it is a well known invasive plant that easily outcompetes everything else in small waterways)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom