55 Gallon Tank Small fish species-tank - 2ft cube.

Yeoy

So it looks like I'm going to be getting back my custom built 2ftx2ftx2ft cube on a high stand (see pic attached*).
*boring info about the tank attached at the end for anyone interested.

The tank is about 220L (US55G) volume. I was thinking about doing a species tank. Rather than large 'centrepiece fish' I prefer a high quantity of a smaller fish. I was thinking about Peacock Gudgeons but I think due to their nature and where they sit in the water column most of the tank would be wasted on them. A few forms of Blue-Eyes are available near me, as well as the Threadfin Rainbow (werneri). I've never kept either before but have kept plenty of similar fish in the past. They're a little on the pricey side where I am but think it would be worth it in the long run to have a cool colony, and I can always slowly stock the tank.

I guess I just wanted other people's opinions on other fish I could keep in it as a 1 or 2 species tank? Generally something small-medium, hopefully fairly friendly and I wouldn't mind something that would breed (but not essential). Going to hopefully end up fairly well planted including moss, driftwood, floating moss island etc...

Likely I'll end up with some cheap shrimp (low grade RCS or glass/ghost shrimp etc...) as additional decoration/clean-up crew eventually. Can't not have shrimp :)

*So this tank was a custom built tank that a local serious aquarium collector had made at a serious cost (especially thick glass, very sturdy stand etc...). His wife then got very unhappy about it due to the cost (he already had an insane amount of fishtanks including a TWELVE FOOT tank built into a wall in his house). She decided this extra tank put him over the line so he off-loaded it to me at a criminally low price. I had it for a year or so until I had to give it up when I moved for work. It's been at a friend's house for the last year or 2 with my shrimp colony, plants etc... but has been severely neglected. I believe most of the shrimp (low grade RCS) have died off and the plants have suffered. I had a cool floating moss island (in pic) that I was very proud of. Easy to remake but shame to lose it's maturity, as well as a bunch of random plants I got off local suppliers that were starting to grow out really well and now are mostly gone.

Attachments

• Cube Tank 2.JPG
    Cube Tank 2.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 18

ProudPapa

You of course have a lot of options with that tank. Here's a few off the top of my head.
  1. A dozen or so each of honey gouramis and one of the smaller cory species.
  2. Since you said maybe something that would breed, you could do a single color variety of guppies (especially if you can find a local breeder so you get hardy stock).
  3. Substitute celestial pearl danios for the gouramis in #1 above, and double the number.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishkeeping7777
  • Question
Replies
Views
applejax
Replies
Views
Beckjean