Small Fish Are Cool Too

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wetpets, Aug 2, 2015.

1. WetpetsNew MemberMember

I've been keeping fish for a little more than 20 years and I've always kept large fish; cichlids mostly. In the beginning, I just wanted to keep something alive. Long story short, cichlids proved to be very easy to keep but there were so many of them to choose from; I was in love. A few years ago, I set up my first planted tank. Not having much luck with plants and cichlids in the past, I decided on peaceful community fish. To my surprise I receive just as much enjoyment from them as I did from the monsters I kept. I still have a couple of big fish; a Senegal Bichir and a Black Ghost, but my planted tank has become my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Look into micro fish. Some of the smallest fish can be some of the most colorful.

3. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

We love photos if you have some that you have personally taken. :)

Have fun and enjoy the forum.

Ken

4. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

If you ever want. To mix it up theres always the small and aggressive too! BARBS
    Ive got a rough and tumble group of gold barbs that have as much color asfancy cichlids.

5. WetpetsNew MemberMember

I recently included 6 Gold Barbs and 2 pairs of German Blue Rams, had to get cichlids! Very colorful and get along well. In a 65g I figured they'd have plenty of room and wouldn't bother my school of Asian Glass Catfish which were my first introductions to my planted tank which started in a 29g. I also have 8 Black Neon Tetras, 6 Cherry Barbs, 1 Albino Bristlenose, and 1 Clown Pleco.

6. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Thosegold barbs will takeover the tank, but thats not so bad. My golds are pretty tough and more agressive then expected. Ovver time their color improves. Mine have pink bellies currently also.

7. WetpetsNew MemberMember

Never kept them before but so far so good. They're all over the place mingling with each group then coming back together in a school. Love the color and activity.

8. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, my daughter wanted us to give Them a try. their color is probably one of my faves of small fish. They are excellent group members in my experience. Im sure youll find that they spend very little time alone. Ps:they love cucumber!

9. WetpetsNew MemberMember

One cool thing I've discovered about keeping small fish is that I know there are 35 fish in my tank but you only see a few of them, probably less than half. With big fish, you see them every time.

10. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

I dont know, i seethe whole crewof gold barbseverytime, theyre beggers for snacks.

11. WetpetsNew MemberMember

This pic was taken at feeding time ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438946838.912385.jpg
    that's why you can see most of them. There's so many hiding places to spend their time. They make very good use of the plants.

12. GenaWell Known MemberMember

Dwarf puffers! They are teeny tiny! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438951421.741558.jpg

13. WetpetsNew MemberMember

I think I lost my albino bristlenose. We had an issue with our air conditioner and the tank temp went to around 86 degrees. Temp was back to normal yesterday and it seemed everyone else was also back to normal but this afternoon before I left for work it was under a piece of driftwood on its back. It did move a little but not latched on to anything. I'm a little bummed out because I seldom lose fish and it was the only one I had.

14. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Sorry for your loss. :(
    Welcome to fishlore!

15. WetpetsNew MemberMember

Thanks. I don't know if I'll replace him because I have a clown pleco also. I think I'll just leave things alone for now; maybe buy some plants or focus on my 75g. It's still a work in progress.

16. WetpetsNew MemberMember

I looked in my tank a few minutes ago and saw my Bristlenose lying in the same position as he was in yesterday. So, I'm preparing to do a water change and reach in to get it out and . . . it moves away! Not a twitch, a full fledged swim!

17. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

That's good!

18. WetpetsNew MemberMember

Yeah, I guess we've all had fish to linger on and we just don't have the heart to put them out of their misery and opt to let them expire naturally. It was a huge relief to see it swim away and it appears to be perfectly fine. My wife always acts concerned but she doesn't share in my aquatic interests.

19. WetpetsNew MemberMember

Again, bad experience with GBR's. 1 completely disappeared after the first week, I had noticed a small defect so I didn't really mind. 2 weeks after, 2 more deaths. I'm down to 1 and not sure what to do. I've been here before having bought GBR's about 4 years ago watching them die one by one. I replaced them with Bolivian Rams, one of which I still have in another tank.

20. WetpetsNew MemberMember

Last GBR died yesterday. No signs of disease; they were eating and pooping, apparently healthy until 1 by 1 they passed away. I don't think I'll get anymore. I'll find something else interesting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice