Small Filter Okay For Large Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wapooshe, Apr 20, 2017.

1. wapooshe

wapoosheValued MemberMember

So my 75 gal tank is right now running a 400gph filter. I want to add another filter of 200-300gph in order to get good filtration. Here is my problem. Usually the 400gph filters are pretty big, while the 200gph will be on the smaller size. Does size matter at all about the filter when in comparison to the size of the tank?

2. wem21

wem21Well Known MemberMember

yes, gph does matter, especially in tanks bigger than 5g. Make sure the flow isnt too much for the fish, and u cant really overfilter a tank.

3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

It has to do with what you're stocking. The flow rate and filter media compartment size are higher and larger in bigger tanks to process the ammonia of a fully stocked 75g quickly.

If you have 20 gallons worth of fish in a 75g tank, you'd be adequately filtered with a 20 gallon filter.

4. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

If you're going to go with such a small filter youll probably need two. Anything you het unless you step up to the really big stuff like fx5 or 6s youll want two. There are a lot of good 1200 lph range filters that aren't very big. I'm a fan of aquis cf1200s

5. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

6. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

Thanks guys, I will probably be stocking as a 40 until I can upgrade

7. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

A smaller filter probably won't fit over the trim on a 75.

8. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

Oh yeah, your right. Maybe I could resort to sponge filtering as another alternative.