Small, darty unschooling fish

adumsoza

Hi, I have a 10 gallon that i want to get something for, i don't want a whole school of fish, just 1 or 2 that are fast swimmers, like a neon tetra that doesn't school. And no rainbowfish or fish with flowing fins. Any suggestions?

BPSabelhaus

Small, dirty, colorful, no stupid fins, doesn’t school…

Endler.

adumsoza

In my area, i only get guppies, no endlers. And i have heard endlers are quite slow moving.

mattoid

sparkling gourami? assuming a planted tank though, and probably 1M 2F to keep it guaranteed friendly.
beautiful, small, fast, full of character! 1 will be okay on its own apparently, never had less than 3 myself, but apparently happier with friends. definitely no stupid fins on these ones...

blackwater

Nah just to be safe i would keep them in a harem group.

mattoid

but what about the joy of 'what do I do now that I have all these fry?' :)

Redshark1

Darty fish should be in a bigger aquarium so they can dart around.

mattoid

Darty fish should be in a bigger aquarium so they can dart around.
I agree in general, but Sparkling Gouramis definitely have their needs well met in a 2 foot or 10 gallon as they are so small. Short, sharp, character laden bursts of activity - not like a zebra danio type of darting.

Coradee

Hi, is this the same 10 gallon your pea puffers are going in? if so that will have a bearing on what other fish are compatible.

blackwater

but what about the joy of 'what do I do now that I have all these fry?' :)
The joy of fish store credit!

BPSabelhaus

In my area, i only get guppies, no endlers. And i have heard endlers are quite slow moving.

Here’s a nice clear pic of my slow Endlers lol

Bummer they’re not available around you.
I saw mention of a possible puffer? So brackish?

I’ll second myself lol Note the marine algaes nice and clear and slow moving lol I’m having a lot of success keeping them in salt. Easiest tank I’ve had. 1.018-1.022 sg, mangroves, algaes, nerites, MTS, hermits and Endlers.

Attachments

• DAA05C6E-E27E-4FA6-A307-22D0400A03BF.jpeg
    DAA05C6E-E27E-4FA6-A307-22D0400A03BF.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 5

blackwater

pea puffers are fully frshwater if i remember correctly.

adumsoza

yes, i am looking for tank mates for pea puffers. I have heard that you need fish that are faster than the puffer.

mattoid

yes, i am looking for tank mates for pea puffers. I have heard that you need fish that are faster than the puffer.
sparkling gouramis maybe not a good match then even if they are faster... I doubt you'd ever see them.

my unwarranted 2 cents worth would be to ditch the puffers and go with the amazing sparkling gouramis instead. have I mentioned how much I like them...

FishDin

Pea Puffers are shoaling fish. Maybe do a 20 long species tank with 6 puffers.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Top Bottom