Small Contained Ecosystem?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Spollack, Jul 14, 2015.

1. S

Spollack New Member Member

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

It's worth a try. But with no water movement, I'm not sure how long term shrimp would last. You would have to change the water daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I noticed you said you would put a cork so the shrimp wont escape. But the problem with that is, the oxygen inside the bottle/jar will run out eventually, thus suffocating the specimens.

4. OP
    OP
    S

I could uncork and recork it (to allow fresh oxygen), but do the shrimp really need moving water? How do the ecoshpheres support shrimp then?

thanks

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Those are cool. I'm not sure how they work. But I know shrimp can be sensitive to ammonia and such. I guess water movement may not be necessary, but stagnant water is not something I would think dwarf shrimp would do very well in. Just my opinion.

I'm going to keep an eye on this and see how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    S

Does anyone else have any insight on this matter?

7. stargazerwolf

stargazerwolf Valued Member Member

They might survive for a bit, survive, not thrive. Those completely closed "ecosystems" might last awhile but I can't imagine that the shrimp are happy. There is no way for there to be a complete ecosystem in an enclosed environment like that. It's just water, a plant and shrimp, oxygen would eventually run out but I assume they last for a bit because the shrimp and plants give each other what they need to a point. Also part of those enclosed ones is you have to put them in the window for sun some of the time to grow algae for the shrimp or they will run out of food. Even still that give no variety in their diet. If you put them in a jar I'd change out water daily, give them just a bit of food and they could be ok...however, I'd never do that to a living thing. Shrimp do like to swim. I see them swim across the whole front of my 10 gallon. In there, they could barely swim at all. Its kind of like when people have a bird in a cage and never let them out, they will live, but can't say they'd be happy.

So while it is possible, I don't suggest keeping them in something so small. I personally wouldn't do anything smaller than a gallon, but even that is pushing it. I had some shrimp in a 2.5 gallon and they didn't do well even with a heater and filter.

8. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

You could do it with a marimo moss ball. And put some stained glass fish the have little glass balloons that make them float. I love those floaty things. =p

Also, there are some really cool fake aquariums that would look nice on your desk.

9. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

They short answer is that they don't over the long term. The issue isn't so much the food an oxygen but rather the lack of mineral replacement. Both plants and shrimp use minerals from the water which will eventually be used up thus killing them. It's the same reason why you can't keep plants and shrimp in pure distilled or ro water over the long haul.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice