Small community cichlids

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I am a cichlid lover and I already have an agressive cichlid tank and was wondering if there are any small and peaceful cichlids that I could get for a community tank? Any and all suggestions would be useful x

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dwarf cichlids such as apistogrammas, rams and kribensis would be fine in a community tank granted they have enough room to establish their own territories although they will become fairly aggressive during spawning if you have a bredding pair (not recommended for smaller tanks).

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've heard of bolivian rams being a lot hardier than GBR's... Does anyone have any info on the bolivian rams?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bolivians are a lot easier to keep than the GBR's who are very sensitive to water conditions. The Bolivians are great looking fish, not really aggressive and will do well in a decent sized community tank.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The above suggestions are good. What size tank & what else is in it? Have you sorted out your other fish? I see from your profile that you have a 20gal that is overstocked with incompatible fish. Is that information still current?

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The above suggestions are good. What size tank & what else is in it? Have you sorted out your other fish? I see from your profile that you have a 20gal that is overstocked with incompatible fish. Is that information still current?
Yes that tank info is up-to-date and I am hoping to upgrade to a 55 gallon in late august, early september.

Besides, I don't think it's that overstocked I've seen a bunch of tanks this size ALOT more overstocked than mine

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, I do need to get a test kit... But can we get back on topic?

I would like to know if there are anymore cichlids besides rams (which I am considering) that are small and community fish?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately your tank is overstocked rather badly. Rainbow Shark needs at least 55gal. A breeding pair of Cons will kill everything else in a tank almost no matter how big the tank is. A Khuli Loach will be absolutley terrified without at least 4 friends to keep it company. The Pleco depends on the species but if it's a common or similar large species, it probably needs a 55gal minimum, maybe considerably larger.

I think it would be very irresponsible for you to add anything else to this tank until you have upgraded. A pair of Rams, Apistos, Kribs or anything else like that will get absolutley smashed by the Cons & the Shark. They also would need a 20gal all for themselves. When you upgrade you should leave the Cons in the 20 by themselves & move the others to the 55. Get at least 4 more Kuhli Loaches when you do the transfer.

If you don't believe me just have a read of a few profiles for your fish, you will soon discover I'm only trying to help you avoid having some major problems.

https://www.fishlore.com/profile-convictcichlid.htm
https://www.fishlore.com/profiles_rainbow_shark.htm
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/sept07/kuhliloach.htm

Minimum tank size, temperament & possible tank mates are in the profiles.

Last edited:

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NO NO NO NO NO... I'm so sorry I misunderstood you. My 20 gallon is full with the fish that I listed on my signature, that info is correct, I wouldn't put any more fish in that tank that would be irresponsible... The tank info on my FL profile is outdated.

I was looking to make a small community tank with a 5-10 gallon (haven't decided which tank yet), but I wasn't sure what cichlids were small and peaceful.

I've been debating between a Bolivian ram cichlid or a dwarf flag cichlid... Any advice?

P.S... I'm sooo sorry about the misunderstanding

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Apistogramma borelli is the smallest dwarf cichlid that I know of, but I don't believe even that one should be kept in a 10g tank. And nothing besides a single betta OR a few neons/something similar should be kept in a 5g tank.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't worry about the misunderstanding, these things happen. You probably should update that aquarium info though.

I wouldn't be putting Rams, Apistos, Kribs or anything else like that in a 5-10gal. In a 10gal you could do a Shell Dweller species tank but that's really about it.

PS: Your signature stocking list is still way over stocked with incompatible fish.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Apistogramma borelli is the smallest dwarf cichlid that I know of
I really like the Apistogramma borelli, (I think it's common name is the "Umbrella Apisto", please tell me if that is incorrect) could you tell me whatever you know about them please?

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the links!
I have one more question: what is the general average price for the apistogramma borellii in?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crazy, you've got the same topic going in two threads ???

mods: please merge this other thread into this one.

I'll answer both your questions.

Flake food - yes they eat it, but as the borellii are bottom dwellers, they struggle to beat to my tetras and sparkling gourami's to the surface. Just by watching their behaviour, it seems the borellii are more suited to 'scavenging' the bottom of the tank.

Price - I paid $25AUD each ($50AUD for the pair), but they are rare in my parts, so it would depend on your area. [edit: mind you, I get a good customer discount from my LFS, I think they are normally $35-40AUD each!!]

Also, what size tank are you putting them in? They do need 20G minimum, even though are generally a peaceful species, mine have already established territories and the male in particular will occassionally chase off 'intruders'. It's not aggressive though (i.e. no fin nipping etc, just a chase off)

And if they are going in your existing 20, I'd have to agree with Nutter's advice in your other thread.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for answering my questions, and I'm sorry about the two threads, I would delete the other one if I could.

P.S... Like I said before, nothing else is going in my agressive 20 gallon cichlid tank, (it is on my signature because it is the tank that I am the most proud of) the reason for this thread was to get suggestions for small, peaceful cichlids for a community tank.

Last edited:

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In a ten gallon, you may be able to add one cichlid, and barely squeeze by. Even the peaceful ones are territorial. Angels and Discus are way too big for a 10. They would work in a bigger tank though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom