Small butterflyfish

fishdreamer98

Ok so I want your guyses opinions, I recently learned that my tank might not be a full 60 gallon, it might be a 50 or a 55. I am very into butterflyfish and I really want to keep one badly. What would be a butterflyfish that can live happily in my aquarium? Also the butterflyfish cannot be one that will eat cleaner shrimps.

Two examples of butterflyfish I am interested in are milletseed and dot-dash any experience with those?

I really wish my tank wasn't so small as I would love to keep a longnose butterflyfish

Aquarist

Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates/Butterfly Fish section of the forum. Hopefully it will help you to receive more responses.

Ken

fishdreamer98

Ok thanks!!

lanlesnee

Dot-dash will most likeily eat your shrimps. You'll still want to becareful with the Milletseed.

IMO your tanks is big enough for some of the long nose butterflies.

fishdreamer98

Ok thanks I don't want to hurt little Jacque (my shrimp). I absolutely love the yellow longnose do you think that one would be ok? One of my lfs almost always has little 2 inch ones in stock they are really cute. Also just about my stock I plan in total to have my 2 occelaris clownfish (one got eaten but I will get another when I remove the crab) The one butterflyfish and 1 flame angelfish what order should I add them? The occelaris are already there

Thanks!

fishdreamer98

Ooh and my dad just told me that we are going to buy a 20 gallon refugium with chaeto soon so if I am right this adds to the total water volume? And for the butterflyfish its not the space all that much its mainly the actual water volume? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Stang Man

Like I said do not get anything at that certain level of fish , until the tank has matured 6-8 months . Or you will be asking for money out the door and the fustration that follows!!

fishdreamer98

Ya I know this wasn't for now or any time soon that was just in the future once I'm ready for butterflyfish which I love

cm11599ps

A Yellow Longnose is probably not the right choice for your tank. I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 75 or so. He'll get to be close to 10" long.

fishdreamer98

Oh I thought they only got to 5 inches in captivity at least that is what I heard. So which one would be the best choice do you think?

Stang Man

Keep in mind that Butterflies are a very delicate species to obtain and are very finiky to keep.

fishdreamer98

Yes I know that's why I am going to wait a long time before I get a butterflyfish. I will leave the space for the butterflyfish though so that when I am ready for it I can add it. That won't be for at least another year though.

Stang Man

Yes I know that's why I am going to wait a long time before I get a butterflyfish. I will leave the space for the butterflyfish though so that when I am ready for it I can add it. That won't be for at least another year though.

That is the best plan that I have heard from anyone on this forum, I am glad you see it that way!! +1

fishdreamer98

Good to know its a good plan!!

fishdreamer98

Ok so I still have no idea what kind of butterflyfish would be suitable for my tank when I am ready so is there any more suggestions?

cm11599ps

That's probably about it.

Stang Man

Not many at all. But you will have to get used to that!!! Most BF will do fine and then parish in a small tank under 200 gallons, up and over will have a chance to survive. This is why I have said the problem with BF the are a very delicate species and if you want to have them that is fine but for a long period you must have a huge reef system for them to actually live for there term of life. In captivity they develope symptoms such as black fungus , starvation, ich, internal parisites Etc. I cannot tell you how many things can go wrong with a tank that small. Don't mean to rock your boat but you have choosen the hardest fish to raise.

fishdreamer98

I know its gonna be real tough but I really want to give it a try. And do the best I can. If it really doesn't work out well at all then i'm not trying a second time because that would be cruel.

For that orange butterflyfish, yes I have looked at that one but my local stores don't carry it and I am not allowed to order online.

Stang Man

I know its gonna be real tough but I really want to give it a try. And do the best I can. If it really doesn't work out well at all then i'm not trying a second time because that would be cruel.

For that orange butterflyfish, yes I have looked at that one but my local stores don't carry it and I am not allowed to order online.

Check back with me this weekend I will give you some more hardier types can't do it now to busy with work and tired. But any how check with me this weekend. PM me so that I don't forget!!! Thanks.

fishdreamer98

Ok thanks!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
Jesterrace