Important Small Business Saturday

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most of us are caught up on the "Black" Friday sales. But remember today is:

"Small Business Saturday"

If your "Lucky" enough to have "LFS" nearby then by all means visit them and spend some $'s. Visited one on Wednesday and the owner said they count on this time of year. I will be stopping by all 3 near me today.
Otherwise, you may not have them for long. And "No" the Big Chain "P" stores do not count.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hope to get to 2 or 4 of my locals today !
It's nice to go needing nothing but to enjoy yourself. Never know what you might find without a list …
I count on my locals as they help me so I always do my best to help them. I would be lost on the net forever if I only had the chain stores [yea there are like over 10 in my area already] .

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I need to get more khuli loaches anyway lol
Guess I'll go in a few hours after my nap.
Thinking about picking up two black khulis in the mix too, maybe ANOTHER new plant or two lol
And if they have any nice blue breeder platies for me, perhaps.
Still waiting on petco for the rest of my Rhombo barbs.
I would get them from my lfs, but I need them for my project, and they can't guarantee that they'll ever get them in because they're never on the list anymore I guess. Must be mainly seasonal or something.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have many LFS around, but I'll call around and see if they are cheaper than PetCo and PetSmart, which is likely because the former are expensive and have a buttload of junk that nobody wants, the plant prices are through the roof so I'll find a LFS and give it a try

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep them in mind any time of year, not just today! They'll appreciate customers who are coming in to support them whenever, and not just rushing out (and especially buying live animals) just because it's a special day. I do all my in-person shopping at the local fish and pet store (ethically run, so not a classic pet store by any means). Even became close friends with the owner over the last 8 years!

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I must have been living inside a black hole. This is the first I've heard about it :emoji_confused:

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We have a similar thing here on the 1st Dec, I do always support the small independents, sadly we've lost several independent Lfs near me in the last couple of years
If you don’t use them you’ll lose them

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just a Bump. Support your Local Fish Store!

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i would if they ever decide to get another shipment of plants in my last plants from there had hydra though soooooo lol

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow you haven't heard about it? Don't you watch ANY TV
It's usually on social media as well, but it's a more recent "tradition" than black friday.

I honestly think people wanted more excuses to spend even more greedy money, so they just said "let's shop all 4 days after the most thankful we've ever been in our lives for what we already have, and call monday our online order day"

American are thought to spend well over 60 billion in total over the 4 days.

Could you imagine if we all got together and used that 60 billion to help the country?
I mean sure buying things helps, but actually skipping middlemen and going out to help those who actually need it, is a better option.
My boyfriend does this weird thing where he buys hoodies and jackets, less than a year later he's not wearing them because he wants a better quality one.
There are so many people in my city coatless on these snowy days, so rather than let him waste money buying his 10th coat for the year, I yell at him to donate what he already has to our local businesses and shelters.
Support can be done in many more ways than just pulling out your wallet.

Anyway that's a stupid pointless rant.
But still, some people don't even know what black friday is lol
Uhhg I loathe our traditions and their names.
As much as I loathe it all, apparently it's not right for me to be mad about greedy people
So whatever, have fun with your new toys, I'll have fun rescuing fish and getting ready for a project I want to bring to local schools.
I'm going to donate up to 150 or 200 or something, as well as encourage either teachers or students to donate, as I bring at least 3 tanks to younger classes who can learn and value fish lives by watching and caring for them in the class room.
I plan to get some small 5 or 10 gallons, simple filters, and baby bettas for them all.
I'm thinking of doing a few grades to show different complexities in nature.
3rd graders will learn what the cycle is and what the chemicals do, but it won't be so indepth as experiments with nitrate or ammonia, where as say a 5th grade class we would be talking about plants, fertilizers, stocking, filters all sorts of stuff vs. just the cycle and how to care for the fish.
I just think it would be super cool to work with students and help them learn to care for animals in that environment vs an uncontrolled one at home where parents sometimes plop bettas in bowls and call em kids pets.
My brothers bettas only ever lasted about 6 months, always in filterless vases, I didn't really know how to help then.

I think it's just important to support the community in general, regardless of if it's a few days after thanksgiving or not.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We help the country by buying things. If we didn't buy anything then nobody would have jobs. Yes its dumb to have excess things, I only have 4 hoodies, 2 I got free and 2 I bought last year. It helps the econamy to shop. Although I do have to say that Black Friday does get blown out of the water usually

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We have only one local fish store left in the entire area. They are very expensive and offer only a 48 hr warranty on their fish. But I think I may drop a few $ there today. Sort of my good deed for the month.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We went black Friday shopping. Well sort of. Got eggs, butter and milk. Oh and a candy bar. Lol. Cyber Monday I think we are getting coal.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Regrettably I dont have a lfs, so Small Business Saturday is spent at our locally owned Ace Hardware buying stuff to prepare for winter. Hope that counts too!

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's usually on social media as well, but it's a more recent "tradition" than black friday.

I honestly think people wanted more excuses to spend even more greedy money, so they just said "let's shop all 4 days after the most thankful we've ever been in our lives for what we already have, and call monday our online order day"

American are thought to spend well over 60 billion in total over the 4 days.

Could you imagine if we all got together and used that 60 billion to help the country?
I mean sure buying things helps, but actually skipping middlemen and going out to help those who actually need it, is a better option.
My boyfriend does this weird thing where he buys hoodies and jackets, less than a year later he's not wearing them because he wants a better quality one.
There are so many people in my city coatless on these snowy days, so rather than let him waste money buying his 10th coat for the year, I yell at him to donate what he already has to our local businesses and shelters.
Support can be done in many more ways than just pulling out your wallet.

Anyway that's a stupid pointless rant.
But still, some people don't even know what black friday is lol
Uhhg I loathe our traditions and their names.
As much as I loathe it all, apparently it's not right for me to be mad about greedy people
So whatever, have fun with your new toys, I'll have fun rescuing fish and getting ready for a project I want to bring to local schools.
I'm going to donate up to 150 or 200 or something, as well as encourage either teachers or students to donate, as I bring at least 3 tanks to younger classes who can learn and value fish lives by watching and caring for them in the class room.
I plan to get some small 5 or 10 gallons, simple filters, and baby bettas for them all.
I'm thinking of doing a few grades to show different complexities in nature.
3rd graders will learn what the cycle is and what the chemicals do, but it won't be so indepth as experiments with nitrate or ammonia, where as say a 5th grade class we would be talking about plants, fertilizers, stocking, filters all sorts of stuff vs. just the cycle and how to care for the fish.
I just think it would be super cool to work with students and help them learn to care for animals in that environment vs an uncontrolled one at home where parents sometimes plop bettas in bowls and call em kids pets.
My brothers bettas only ever lasted about 6 months, always in filterless vases, I didn't really know how to help then.

I think it's just important to support the community in general, regardless of if it's a few days after thanksgiving or not.
You have a good point. Even the Yakuza, a criminal organization, will help the needy. So why can't we? In more than one natural disasters that has hit Japan, they were the first ones to send out aide in foods, blankets, and supplies. Even the local businesses helped out. What happened in the US when something terrible occurs? People steal and plunder, businesses charge more for water. In short, every man for themselves. It makes me angry, but if I'm really honest, I don't care much about anything anymore, except friends and family. I guess I've become cynical. Instead of donations, I believe in getting involved directly. I see too many people donate to the Salvation Army but will walk past a cold, homeless child in need.

To keep on topic, I really didn't know about small business Saturday. I think smaller businesses are great in that they fill a niche market and have more control of their inventory, and thus more specialized. But I only spend my money on only a handful of them. I guess I get tired of the snarky and rude attitude from store owners. That's just me. I'll support ya, as long as you deserve it.

Last edited:

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guys please don’t derail yet another thread, the Op’s Topic is about supporting your local small business particularly small Lfs not how many hoodies you have or other causes.
Please stay on topic!

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most of us are caught up on the "Black" Friday sales. But remember today is:

"Small Business Saturday"

If your "Lucky" enough to have "LFS" nearby then by all means visit them and spend some $'s. Visited one on Wednesday and the owner said they count on this time of year. I will be stopping by all 3 near me today.
Otherwise, you may not have them for long. And "No" the Big Chain "P" stores do not count.
I don't know if we have that here, but this is a great idea. I'd hate to see all the small businesses gone. Of to the LFS...

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Eh, I think Coradee deleted the wrong post? The one where I shout out to my LFS, after my other post?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom