Small Bump On Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by CMA13, Apr 19, 2018.

1. CMA13

CMA13 Valued Member Member

Hey all,

Our family just purchased a Betta fish earlier this week. We had our 10 gallon tank set up and ready to add a fish (48 hrs running, treated the water, did a 25% water change the day before).

The Betta has been swimming around and seems happy, but just yesterday I noticed a tiny small bubble-like pump on the side of his head...I’m assuming he most of had it when I got him, and I just didn’t notice it (I got him from a chain pet store....I know )

I’ve had Bettas in the past and have never seen anything like this. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have a test kit? The tank isn’t cycled. Even with a really good bacteria supplement, it should take longer than 2 days to cycle.

3. Bettafishies126

Bettafishies126 Valued Member Member

Looks like an injured scale or a tumour

4. OP
    OP
    CMA13

I read somewhere 48 hrs (then again I'm learning info on the internet is all over the place.)

How long should I have waited?

Anything I can do to help it? I know frequent water changes, keep the temp good. He's been picky with his betta pellets and not really eating them all, but he's still adjusting?

I don't...yet. I'm very very new to having a tank (used to keep my bettas in 1 gallon ones...I know it was awful. That's why this time I went with a 10 gallon).
    That's getting ordered today.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  5. Katie13

The nitrogen cycle takes about a month without the use of a bacteria supplement. You have to add an ammonia source during that time.

6. OP
    OP
    CMA13

Shoot. Ok, so what should I do now?

7. Katie13

I would pick up some Seachem Prime and Stability. Prime is a dechlorinator that will detoxify ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Stability is a bacteria supplement. The betta will be your ammonia source. I would also pick up the API Freshwater Master Test Kit so you can watch your parameters. Those and water changes are what you need. Test water daily for at least the first week (more or less depending on where they stand mid-week. Normal parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates (under 40ppm).

8. OP
    OP
    CMA13

Thank you! I keep thinking cycling a tank as everything before the fish....but that makes total send the betta IS an ammonia source.

(Geez...even after everything I read and watched on youtube I still made big rookie mistakes )

Thank you so much for the advice!!!

9. OP
    OP
    CMA13

Hey,
    Added the prime and stability the other day. And today did my water levels

Ph - 7.6
    High range ph - 7.4
    Ammonia - .25
    Nitrate - 0 ppm
    Nitrite - 0 ppm

Ammonia is alittle high and nitrate is low. I’m guessing frequent water changes to help it ?

10. OP
    OP
    CMA13

Update on my Betta.

He’s not eating. But he’s super active. Going to try new food tomorrow.

He still has the bump on his head. Could it just be something he was born with? And no worries?

Attached Files:

11. OP
    OP
    CMA13

Update on my betta

He's doing well now! The bump is still there, hasn't gotten bigger or smaller. I think it's just something he was born with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice