Small Brown/white Moving Dots Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by strong style, Apr 17, 2018.

1. strong style

strong style Valued Member Member

I've a small planted tank setup with some gravel, java moss, and duckweed. Some weeks after I set it up, I noticed small white moving dots. Now, they look brown and they've overtaken the tank. They seem attracted to light. They swim around quite fast and clearly multiply at a crazy rate without fish to predate on them. I've a handful of shrimp in this setup and don't want shrimplets to be at risk. What could these things be?

2. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

a photo would help?

could be baby snails?

3. OP
    OP
    strong style

strong style Valued Member Member

They're certainly not snails. The maybe 1 mm in diameter and they move much too fast. I've also had no snails in the plants added, as they came from another tank of mine rather than straight from the store. I'll try to get photos, but they're so small and fast the camera struggles to pick them up.

4. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

hmmmm... yeah i thought that your description was too fast for snails. . are they worm like or fry/ fish like? there are these things called scuds ive read about on here but I have no experience with them. maybe Google those?

5. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

Our tanks are just a like a miniature lake. There is a microscopic world living in the water. Sometimes the conditions are just right for those specks to explode and grow big enough for us to see them without a microscope.

Most of those tiny creatures are completely harmless to the inhabitants that we can see. In your case it is shrimp. It wouldn't surprise me to hear from you that they disappeared just as quickly as they appeared sometime in the near future.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice