Small Bowl ok for a Betta???

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello again fellow betta lovers!!! Been away long time, busy, just had a new baby. They take alot of time, but he's getting older and now I can turn some of my attention back to my fishies.

Now for my question. I was given a very small fish bowl. I was gonna put it on my desk at work. If I put a Betta in there, could I put some rocks on the bottom and like 1 silk plant???

Thanks for the help.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your Betta needs a tank big enough to have a heater and a filter. So the bowl is probably not a good idea.
Carol

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I live in florida. No one I know that has a fish tank has a heater. My 10gal doesn't have a heater and my fish are as happy as can be. When I had my betta....he loved it. Inside my office....the temp stays between 73-77f. But, if Betta's won't be good, what would???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry 73-77F is too much fluctuation. In warmer areas heaters can keep the tank at a more level temp. Bettas need to be right about 78F consistently. Fluctuating temps is just begging ich to break out and its also stressful for your fish and stress can cause your fish to get sick.
gunnie lives in Florida and has heaters in her tanks
Carol

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, guess it depends on who has it. My 10gal says about 76f. It stays the same temp as my house, whatever temp my house is, for some odd reason, thats the temp of my tank. Its weird

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad their doing well Most fish will adjust to a steady temp, bettas will adjust but not necessarily like it. I was just saying the fluctuation is what causes a problem. Most houses are cooler in the morning and warmer in the evening. Even a 2-3 degree fluctuation can cause problems.
Carol

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not only is that too mush fluctuation, but it is too cold for a Betta. The optimum temp for Bettas is 80 degrees, although if you keep them with other fish 78 degrees will do. Anyway, bowls are not really suitable for keeping fish. I believe I posted my list of reasons on another post of yours.
I know you want fish but you need to keep in mind what is best for them. How about a couple Ghost Shrimp? I know another person on here (Emma) has two in a half-gallon tank. I think those would be fine in your bowl, and they are very cool. They are clear so you can see the color of the food they ate in their stomach! ;D

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
also an idea they sell small tanks for bettas called the betta keeper at Petco for like $10 with plants, gravel, and a divider (not that u would really want that kinda of bio load) please correct me if i am wrong i will gladly take this back if i am wrong but i'm pretty sure i saw some small filters and heaters if u want to try something like that. I'm sure the whole set up isn't that expensive. just a thought

Brent

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm guessing whatever you're thinking of is not 5 gallons...it is probably a one or half gallon kit, which really isn't much better than a bowl. You couldn't get a 5 gallon kit that cheap...

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well you CAN but I do not recommend heating anything less than 5 gallons because it is so easy to overheat. You really can't safely keep fish an anything less than 5 gallons.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, that would be really awesome! Maybe I need to try something like that! ;D ;D Sorry if I'm hijacking the post a bit, but are there any filters you can use for tiny bowls/tanks?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The Duetto is the smallest one I know of and it is 2 - 5 gallons on their MINI model. It would NOT work on a small box of plastic like the Betta Container with the divider. They are little more than fancy named bowls. And no heater should be put into anything less than a 3 gallon and then only with extreme caution as the smaller tanks do tend to overheat badly. I had my first Marineland Heater problem with the heater that used to be in my 3 gallon giving out when I put it in the 5 gallon. I will now not use more than a 25 watt in my 5 gallon tanks. The heaters that are supposedly made for the small containers do not have adjusting devices. The unit is preset at the factory to raise the temperature a couple of degrees. That does nothing to keep the temperature steady.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I know for bettas u need to keep it around 78 degrees F so if the heater is preset how in the world do u get it up that high and maintain it??? ???

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is why you do not want to use that type of heater. You cannot do it, it will not do what you need it to do. You will be wasting your money. Get a bigger tank (5 gallon or more) and an ADJUSTABLE heater (submersible is best) and you will have it made. [well kind of anyway - you still have to get through the cycle] I know you already have all these things in your plans so you are on the right track.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
if only full cycling were an over night process it would make our lives so much easier and we could get fish quicker too!!! ;P

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom