Small Bottom Feeders/dwellers?

1. Miyyaro

Miyyaro Valued Member Member

I really want a small group of dwarf Corys to put in my 15 (tall) tank but they are very hard to come by at this time of year. I am currently on a couple wait lists but until then I thought I'd see if there are any other kind of small bottom feeders I can put in there. I currently have 4 Ammano shrimp and a couple trumpet snails for clean up.

15gal.jpg Thanks!:emoji_fish:

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions? Asian stone catfish would probably work.

3. OP
    OP
    Miyyaro

H- 15in
    L- 13in
    D- 13in

4. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    Miyyaro

I'm looking for something that would want to snack on left overs around the tank. My Ammanos do and I'll be getting a few Blue Diamond shrimp, but a few nice looking tiny fish would be a nice addition! Or one bottom feeder :) The asian stone catfish looks like a candidate! I could just need to get a small airstone/pump set up.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't do cories in this size tank, do asian stone catfish instead.

7. OP
    OP
    Miyyaro

Even though the corys only get to about an inch?

8. Anders247

They get a little larger than that and are pretty active, in my experience my pygmies weren't happy in a 10g.

9. OP
    OP
    Miyyaro

I've looked up several sources on the dwarf Cory (differnt than the pygmy) but here's what fishlore has to say:

Dwarf Corydoras.

They only get to about an inch :)

10. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

Asian Stone Catfish are awesome! If you could I would definitely get a few. I wanted to get some so bad when I saw them at the store, but I already have 15 Pygmy Corydoras so I didn't.
    Want to add some to my 29 gal. though.

11. OP
    OP
    Miyyaro

Are the Asian Stone Catfish active? Do you get to see them a lot?

12. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

From what I've seen, yes. Although your tank is pretty heavily planted/decorated, but from the behavior I observed in the store they are much more likely to be out front where you can see them than Corydoras.

13. A

Amanda Smith New Member Member

I would wait for the Cory if you can.. My favorite fish is my Cory. When I bought him he was the only one available but I'm so glad I did buy him because he is the sweetest cutest thing!! He is always dancing around the tank and anytime one of my other fish has had a problem of some kind, my little Cory will get my attention and take me to the fish in peril!! Recently, I got a beta and put it in the tank (I've never had an aggressive beta but have known people who have so I don't suggest putting them in your own tank without keeping a close eye on them for a while) and the first time the beta slept my little Cory took me to him because he looked dead!! Lol. Beta fish do look dead when they are sleeping so I don't blame him. Anyway, the Cory has become my favorite fish ever and I've had many freshwater tanks since my first goldfish as a child. You should certainly wait and if you can have multiples then all the better. They love their tank mates any will even bond well with you if you are like me and are always doodling in your tank.

14. Anders247

Cories need a bigger tank than a 10g, though, so I wouldn't do them.

Also, fishlore's profiles are incorrect.

All of the smaller species of cories, C. habrosus, pygmaeus, and hastatus get over 1.3 inches, and are active so wouldn't recommend them. I also have kept them in a 10g myself and they didn't do well.