Small black spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a almost all black platy with a little tan/orange on his belly and mouth. I have had him for 2 to 3 weeks. In the last couple of days his analfin on his belly to his mouth have little black spots on it. It kinda looks like pepper or some thing. The rest of my fish look normal it is just him. What do you think it is? Is it black spot disease? If so how do I treat it?

*Hannah*

OP
*Hannah*

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry it took me so long to reply.
I don't have any batteries for my camera right now.
The more I like at him it is only on the belly. Not on the mouth area. Sorry for the mistake. He could be a male, but I think is it a he.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I remember from one of your previous threads, "blacky" looked to be a female, to me it sounds like you could be seeing fry growing in her stomach. How big does he/she look? Does the back part of his/her stomach look dark?

OP
*Hannah*

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it is a male, because I got a female platy to replace SunShine (who died when I was on a vacation still don't know why). And Blacky analfin doesn't look as long as the new female.Blacky keeps on chasing the new female, so that also made my think is was a male. He/she is a little square and is about the same size as the other male. I am sorry if this is confusing.

OP
*Hannah*

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, I know the difference, I have seen dozen pictures on Google Images. My problem is Blacky looks like mix of male and female, well at least to me.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im kind of skeptical about it being black spot disease, the only freshwater black spot disease I know of requires the presence of wild birds and snails. Unless you added wild fish or snails from a local pond or lake, Im not sure how likely it is to be black spot. If it is a male that you bought recently , the underdeveloped gonopodium makes me think that he is a very young fish, and it is possible that he is continuing to develop and that the spots are simply a part of his coloring that is starting to show up. Pictures would definitely help, and as long as you dont see any signs of flashing/scratching and as long as he/she continues to look healthy I wouldnt worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom