Small black/brown worms

1. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Okay so I was starting a S. Repens carpet today and I had to use my tweezers to plant the stems into the substrate and while removing the tweezers sometimes I would stir up a worm or two. I would like to know what they are and if I should be worried.

He's in the top middle of the pic
    [​IMG]

My tetras and Otos don't seem to mind them. They just keep swimming along.

2. GgAcE Member Member

Detritus worms.

Sounds like too much organic waste. These guys are not harmful to fish like other common worms HOWEVER, if you don't control the population they can take up LOTS of precious oxygen.

Gravel vacuum carefully!

3. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Will cory cats eat them? I will be getting some in maybe two more weeks.

4. GgAcE Member Member

Have not personally experienced this so I can't be certain. I also don't know of any nutritional factors of these worms. I just know where they tend to come from. Lots of waste. Your tank heavily planted?

5. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't say heavily planted but it's got a few plants. Here's some pics of tank and more worms

Before I found the worms
    [​IMG]

After I found worms
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't be worried, it's not unusual to have worms in the substrate, they actually help the plants by breaking down the detritus. Most fish will eat them as well.(I think this is why most people don't see them often in their tanks)

7. GgAcE Member Member

Love the color contrast. As stated above, they are not dangerous in in a tank that size, they only become dangerous if you have hundreds or thousands of them as they do take up oxygen.

8. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Okay cool I'm probably sure my tetras have eaten a few if they've seen them. Also will be getting some rasboras hengli next week so there's more potential danger for these worms mwhahahah and some corys a few weeks later.

Thanks man I'm hoping some of those crypts will start to grow and add se red into the tank.

Hopefully I never get thousands of them or I will definitely panic lol.

9. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

If you dont have a ton of organic matter/waste/uneaten food getting into the substrate then their population will be self limiting.