Small Bichir Or Discus? Question 

SilverLoachRam

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering some opinions on what I am thinking about keeping.

Right not I have a 75 gallon with a sand substrate about halfway through cycling. I've been wanting to keep Discus and Bichir for a long time (since I started the hobby two years ago) and I dont know which to do. If it was discus I'd probably buy 10 at 2.5-3.5 inches and let them grow. As they grow I'd want to end up with a pair when they were more fully grown. If I were to keep Bichir it'd obviously have to keep the smaller varieties. I have done a ton of research into discus but no so much into the bichir and getting through so much info and people saying discus are hard to keep, I'm starting think about bichir again. Also, if you do think Bichirs are better, what are some good and fun tankmates to go with them?

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
SilverLoachRam said:
Hi all, I was just wondering some opinions on what I am thinking about keeping.

Right not I have a 75 gallon with a sand substrate about halfway through cycling. I've been wanting to keep Discus and Bichir for a long time (since I started the hobby two years ago) and I dont know which to do. If it was discus I'd probably buy 10 at 2.5-3.5 inches and let them grow. As they grow I'd want to end up with a pair when they were more fully grown. If I were to keep Bichir it'd obviously have to keep the smaller varieties. I have done a ton of research into discus but no so much into the bichir and getting through so much info and people saying discus are hard to keep, I'm starting think about bichir again. Also, if you do think Bichirs are better, what are some good and fun tankmates to go with them?
Senegal bichirs are the smallest bichir I believe. I had one for a short while.... until my Oscar ate it :/ . But I enjoyed keeping it. Only downside is that when it gets bigger it’s only tank mates would have to be larger fish as they are predatory by nature. Personally I would go for discus.

SilverLoachRam

Reaction score
SuperD14 said:
Senegal bichirs are the smallest bichir I believe. I had one for a short while.... until my Oscar ate it :/ . But I enjoyed keeping it. Only downside is that when it gets bigger it’s only tank mates would have to be larger fish as they are predatory by nature. Personally I would go for discus.
I've read that they arent aggressive per say but will eat any fish that can fit in their mouths. If I did the bichirs it'd be an oddball tank so I'd have to look more into tank mates.

Thank you for your response!

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
SilverLoachRam said:
I've read that they arent aggressive per say but will eat any fish that can fit in their mouths. If I did the bichirs it'd be an oddball tank so I'd have to look more into tank mates.

Yes when o kept mine he was similar to axolotls in the essence that he was terrible at actually finding his food(and eating it without a mouthful of sand) aha!

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SilverLoachRam said:

Bichirs are cool fish, but if you want something that's gonna give that look and be compatible in a community go with a few ropefish, they're pretty awesome in groups and while they get 14" or so they're far more flexible than a bichir so a 75 gallon would be fine to have a group of them in. Just make sure the tank mates are bigger than their mouth.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Why not do both? No way the discus could get eaten and they're surprisingly temperature compatible. Discus are honestly kind of easy actually, you just have to cater to higher demands in water quality than usual, as long as you do it right there's a small chance of anything happening to them that's in your control.

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
nikm128 said:
Why not do both? No way the discus could get eaten and they're surprisingly temperature compatible. Discus are honestly kind of easy actually, you just have to cater to higher demands in water quality than usual, as long as you do it right there's a small chance of anything happening to them that's in your control.
Bichirs also enjoy the same water parameters as discus.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd tend to go for Birchir as the hardier fish that is easier to keep.

I don't see Birchir recommended for Discus tanks, probably as their nocturnal activity would stress the Discus when the latter are sleeping. Also, I have read many reports of Birchir biting chunks out of fish that are too big to swallow.

I personally would expect the Birchir to stress out the Discus too much and as I try and provide top quality care for my fish so they thrive not just stay alive I wouldn't do it.

The way I've got my Clown Loaches to 25 years of age is by doing what's best for them not me and not forcing them to cohabit with unsuitable fish. Now it works out that I was doing what's best for me after all as I have something to be proud of.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Redshark1 said:

I don't see Birchir recommended for Discus tanks, probably as their nocturnal activity would stress the Discus when the latter are sleeping. Also, I have read many reports of Birchir biting chunks out of fish that are too big to swallow.

I personally would expect the Birchir to stress out the Discus too much and as I try and provide top quality care for my fish so they thrive not just stay alive I wouldn't do it.

The way I've got my Clown Loaches to 25 years of age is by doing what's best for them not me and not forcing them to cohabit with unsuitable fish. Now it works out that I was doing what's best for me after all as I have something to be proud of.
That's a good point, definitely wouldn't want a chunk taken out of anything by a bichir.
In that case I would also vouch for a discus tank.

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Redshark1 said:

Agree, although I never had an issue with my senagal in with severums for years, I'm not sure I'd trust them in an experiment with something as expensive and delicate as discus.

SilverLoachRam said:

If ropefish were an available option, I'd have no problem recommending them together, they're peaceful to things larger than their mouth, they don't tear chunks like bichers they just swallow whole or leave it alone entirely... They have far more or at least better personally and I find they also look way better than a senegal... My angels and rainbows aren't bothered by them one bit. Even though they're naturally nocturnal mine are fully active during the day and just chill with the rest when the lights go out...
Screenshot_2019-08-02-23-37-56-924_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.png

SilverLoachRam

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for the responses!

So far it seems like most people think I should do discus. A lot of you seemed to think of i was asking if i could keep discus with bichirs (or maybe I'm being dumb). I was asking which you guys think are more enjoyable to keep.

All of the info you have given me is very helpful thank you all!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom