Small Aqueon Filter Manipulation

jmarks

Member
My wife brought home a small BettaBow2.5 Aquarium Kit by Aqueon as she wants to have a betta as the class pet in her 4th grade classroom.

Curious if others have any unique ideas on how to customize the small filter cartridges to get rid of the carbon and add some Matrix and/or other sponge material to eliminate monthly replacements.
 

el337

Member
This should help
 

Junne

Member
el337 said:
This should help

I think the one he has is a 1/3 of that size - From what I remember, its like a little "tray" that sits horizontally - in which case you could use "2" cut to fit filter pads on top of each other but anything else would be difficult since its really small.
 

el337

Member
Junne said:
I think the one he has is a 1/3 of that size - From what I remember, its like a little "tray" that sits horizontally - in which case you could use "2" cut to fit filter pads on top of each other but anything else would be difficult since its really small.
Ah, ok. I thought the setup was the same but in a much smaller scale.
 

Junne

Member
el337 said:
Ah, ok. I thought the setup was the same but in a much smaller scale.
It would seem like it but its like they turned it horizontal - that's why you never see the hob ( well not as much and only the stem and intake ) on the minI bows on the back - its hidden up at the top.
 
  • Thread Starter

jmarks

Member
Thanks el, but Junne is correct. The filters on the small betta bowls is super small and is hidden under the lid. The minI filter cartridge lays horizontal and I have been brainstorming on how to customize it and was curious if others already had solutions.
 

Junne

Member
jmarks said:
Thanks el, but Junne is correct. The filters on the small betta bowls is super small and is hidden under the lid. The minI filter cartridge lays horizontal and I have been brainstorming on how to customize it and was curious if others already had solutions.
You should be able to put 2 filter pads on it, right? Take out the cartridge and if you get the cut to fit ( I can usually get almost 6 months from one pad, rinsing in used tank water every month ) and lay one on top of the other. Then when one is ready to be tossed, you can leave the other on it so you don't lose the cycle.
 
  • Thread Starter

jmarks

Member
Would you bother with any type of ceramic media or just filter material....I have plenty of filter media from my larger tank that I already cut to fit in a fluval C4
 

Junne

Member
jmarks said:
Would you bother with any type of ceramic media or just filter material....I have plenty of filter media from my larger tank that I already cut to fit in a fluval C4
Yes I would ceramic media but I don't you can fit it in there??????
 

MommaWilde

Member
at petsmart they have the fluval ceramic rings by the box but its way more than you'd need. however also at petsmart they have tiny pouches of ceramic rings for small filters made by national geographic. they are $1.50 or $2. I bought a bunch of them to stuff into some of my smaller HOB filters.

I can't find those NG ceramic ring pouches on line but you can also find ceramic rings on amazon, and make your own tiny pouch with women's nylons or cotton fishnet hairnets.

I have some 1 gal tanks I used for my betta when I first started having fish and I could fit the filter cartage it came with and a tiny pouch. Oh, another idea is small pieces of clean lava rock. A lot cheeper than ceramic rings.
 
  • Thread Starter

jmarks

Member
I picked up the biomax media replacement for the Fluval Edge filter yesterday. It appears that it will fit pretty good. I put it in the filter of my 40 gallon tank to let it seed itself for a few weeks and then I will move to my betta tank. I plan to just cut to size some of the sponge media I use for my 40gal and lay it on top of the new biomax bag.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom