Small Aquaponics Setup

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by Joshaeus, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Joshaeus

JoshaeusWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +193
    I was thinking of setting up a 40 gallon aquaponics setup to experiment with aquaponic vegetable gardening this year. The setup would receive 8 gallon WC's a week and house a sunfish (perhaps a Warmouth? Goldfish are illegal to keep in ponds up here). The sunfish or whatever I get will be fed twice daily. Plants I would like to try include eggplant and lettuce, among others. What are your thoughts on this?

2. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,116
    Experience:
    3 years
    Though I admittedly do not know much about aquaponics, I think you might want to look into incorporating some hydroponics techniques as well. With aquaponics I can foresee the same issues that some people run into with submersed plants, which is fish not having a large enough bioload to fully support plants without fertilizer.

3. Vishaquatics

VishaquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +851
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Aquaponics generally require nearly inhumane stocking conditions in order to provide the plants with enough nutrients. As someone with experience in hydroponics and aquaponics, I'd lean more toward hydroponics if you care about the happiness of your fish. Lettuce and eggplants are absolute nutrient hogs and you'll need a highly concentrated amount of waste to fuel their growth. Additionally, you'll probably have to dose supplementary iron as well (most aquaponic systems are iron deficient from just the fish waste alone). If you really want to do aquaponics, tilapia are your best bet.

4. OP
    OP
    Joshaeus

JoshaeusWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +193
    Sigh...oh well. Better to find other ways to grow plants well than risk the fish's health and well being. Thank you