Small Algae Eater?

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have been thinking about getting a small algae eater for a while now. Algae isn’t really a problem. But it is kind of annoying when I see it on a lot of different things. I have three nerite snails that do most of the job well, but they can’t get to the leafy or thin plants. This is frustrating because plants are where the algae mainly builds up. I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 Cory’s and 2 German blue rams. I also have 10 cardinal tetras on the way. I am looking for a fish that can be kept singular in a 20 gallon and will eat algae and fish food, as I don’t know if I have enough algae to sustain a fish that only eats algae. So far all I have found are plecos but none seem to fit in a 20 gallon. Plus, plecos have a very big bio load. Does anyone know of a fish like this?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Otocinclus are good contenders, but they do best in a group. Bristlenose plecos are also a good choice as they readily eat algae and are a lot smaller compared to most pleco species.

OP
JakeDfish

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I almost got 3 otocinclus but they only eat algae and I don’t know if I have enough algae to constantly keep them happy for the rest of their lives. Is there a bristle nose pleco that mostly eats algae but also eats fish food? I know there are lots of different kind of bristle nose plecos, is there a certain type that fits my tank best? I was looking into Bristle nose plecos but can they really do well in a 20 gallon? I thought they had to have a 30 gallon minimum. Thanks for the help.

OP
JakeDfish

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am going to get a bristle nose pleco. My LFS has an albino and a regular is there a difference beside color?

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
May I also suggest Amano shrimps? I know they’re not fish... but I also had an algae problem a few weeks back, and my options for a 20 gallon tank were limited. I also have nerite snails, but they wouldn’t touch the stuff on the leaves and mainly stuck to the walls. Amano shrimps came to save the day/tank. Small bioload, eats plant matter and tetra food (or you can feed them shrimp pellets too) aside from algae. Before and after shots of the plants:

Attachments

OP
JakeDfish

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow I will definitely keep them in mind. The algae problem has gone way down. I now just use my finger to scrape the algae off then my nerite’s get get any extra. Thanks though.

OP
JakeDfish

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have real drift wood In my tank from the past plecos I’ve kept. I haven’t gotten the new pleco yet but I can anytime. I’m just waiting till I get the other fish so I can get both at the same time. I might not get a pleco after all though. I moved my big fish out of the tank so nothing could eat an amano shrimp anyways. I am leaning towards amano shrimp because they have a smaller bio-load and don’t need driftwood or any really specific requirements. But if I do get a pleco I will make sure to add real driftwood.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 6 15.0%

Top Bottom