Small above ground patio pond

LeoDiaz

Can I get a small 25-40 gallon preformed pond liner and put in my patio and stock with some plants and few mosquitofish?

LeoDiaz

Change my mind want to do it diy build a wooden frame for it and put a pond liner in it what size wood will work for a pond that is about 70 gallons? Will 2by4 work?

Dadio

Use 2x4 for frame with 4x4 corner posts. Use treated wood and 3/4 plywood then either user a liner or liquid edpm for larger than 70 gallons. 2x4 would work for under 100 gallon but you still need a 1/2 plywood interior, then either of the liner methods mentioned. I'd go liquid edpm (liquid rubber) https://www.pondpro2000.com/ which i've used and a few others.

LeoDiaz

Use 2x4 for frame with 4x4 corner posts. Use treated wood and 3/4 plywood then either user a liner or liquid edpm.

were will I put the plywood I need a rough idea.

FishtailBraid

If your verandah is raised (like a balcony in an apartment building), be careful you don't exceed the weight limit - water is heavy and if a few people crowd on there as well, it can quickly add up! But otherwise it sounds like a beautiful idea.

LeoDiaz

If your verandah is raised (like a balcony in an apartment building), be careful you don't exceed the weight limit - water is heavy and if a few people crowd on there as well, it can quickly add up! But otherwise it sounds like a beautiful idea.
I'm on the first floor and the balcony area is pure concrete so that's not a problem. what will be cheaper a wooden frame pond or one with bricks?

Dadio

were will I put the plywood I need a rough idea.

Think of it as building a box. As stated verify the placement that it can support it.

Use plywood (1/2 in) on the interior side, you can also do it on the outside, So, what your creating is a covered frame. Space your studs (2x4) every min 6 inches. Once done, the outside plywood (1/4 in can be used) can be painted, or false bricks added or whatever flair you want to give it.

How big is your patio? Concrete or not there still is a weight limit so you need to be sure. I'd do 50 gallon, max 75. Have you got that many skeeter problems lol

LeoDiaz

Think of it as building a box. As stated verify the placement that it can support it.

Use plywood (1/2 in) on the interior side, you can also do it on the outside, So, what your creating is a covered frame. Space your studs (2x4) every min 6 inches. Once done, the outside plywood (1/4 in can be used) can be painted, or false bricks added or whatever flair you want to give it.

How big is your patio? Concrete or not there still is a weight limit so you need to be sure. I'd do 50 gallon, max 75. Have you got that many skeeter problems
lol
IDK if there is a weight limit will have to ask my landlord. so do I still need the 4by4 corner post and is 3/4 or 1/2 plywood?

Dadio

No, 2x4 will work good use both wood glue and screws. 1/2 for the inside.

Dadio

Concrete slabs are done either fully fixed, or floating. What I mean by floating is usually there is a bead of special glue and slab dropped in place. The under structure supports are triangular. Fixed means it's lag bolted in which I doubt or poured concrete being part of the floor.

LeoDiaz

Concrete slabs are done either fully fixed, or floating. What I mean by floating is usually there is a bead of special glue and slab dropped in place. The under structure supports are triangular. Fixed means it's lag bolted in which I doubt or poured concrete being part of the floor.

can I build it like if I was making a brick wall and just leave it floating like u said? Dadio can the frame just be build using 2by4 no plywood?

Dadio

Hmm, now there's an idea, you could build a brick retain L shaped wall to a inner corner of your patio, meaning closer to the wall and not the outer edge. That for sure would give you more support but that also adds extra weight. Cinder blocks still need reinforcement, as does a brick structure as the weight behind 50 to 75 gallons is one thing, but there's also movement of water that creates inner force with the weight of the water. Lets see, a corner build for say around 75 gallon measuring 2'x2'x2' as a cube is 60 gallons. Built with wood would weight be close to 600lbs without deco or accessories, so say upwards of 600lbs. Brick on the other hand would come in close to 800 lbs or more.

Forgot to add that yes an inner wall would be preferred imo, a mere splinter of wood can create a small puncture and the would in the case of 60 gallonon the inner could be 1/4 masonite or plywood.

Rivieraneo

Leo, any chance you would consider a plastic stock tank ?

Like this one 150G

Dadio

Leo, any chance you would consider a plastic stock tank ?

Like this one 150G

Full 150 is upwards of 1250 lbs, that's some serious weight for a patio but could be an interesting project as well providing his patio can support the weight of that and say 4 people on another average 600 lbs based on a 150lb average for each person.

LeoDiaz

ill rather make my own custom pond. will just 2by4 work bythemself?

Dadio

ill rather make my own custom pond. will just 2by4 work bythemself?

What size are you planning roughly? Treated 2x4 would work but how it's secured is most important. My 500 Gallon interiour pond uses 2x4, 4x4 corner posts and 2x6 cedar would top edge. Screws, glue and even airplane cable was used. The cable wraps around and is secured to a brick wall. This pond also has a lexon 1/4" 2'x3' viewing window. So to answer your question, yes 2x4's can be used but you need to be sure on the security of the build.

LeoDiaz

What size are you planning roughly? Treated 2x4 would work but how it's secured is most important. My 500 Gallon interiour pond uses 2x4, 4x4 corner posts and 2x6 cedar would top edge. Screws, glue and even airplane cable was used. The cable wraps around and is secured to a brick wall. This pond also has a lexon 1/4" 2'x3' viewing window. So to answer your question, yes 2x4's can be used but you need to be sure on the security of the build.
the max size is 47by28by16-20inches tall

Dadio

So about 90 g/750 lbs not counting building materials or deco, lets say roughly 1000lbs if you went with max size. Like that's fairly big for a patio unless you got a large one. What's dimensions of patio?

LeoDiaz

So about 90 g/750 lbs not counting building materials or deco, lets say roughly 1000lbs if you went with max size. Like that's fairly big for a patio unless you got a large one. What's dimensions of patio?
I haven't measured it lenghtwise but I only know the with 47inches wide. I don't use our patio at all so we have a lot room in it we have nothing in it. the only thing would be the pond.

LeoDiaz

was thinking of using 2by10 for the main body and 2by4 for support and for the lip around the pond giving me a total height of 20inches but the water will only be 18inches up. do I need underlayment if the pond is not going to be in the ground? Dadio so outside dimensions 47by28by20inches inside 44by25by18.5 about 88 gallon pond

Dadio

was thinking of using 2by10 for the main body and 2by4 for support and for the lip around the pond giving me a total height of 20inches but the water will only be 18inches up. do I need underlayment if the pond is not going to be in the ground? Dadio so outside dimensions 47by28by20inches inside 44by25by18.5 about 88 gallon pond

It's always better to have underlay, a small rock over time can with the pressure of the water create a pinhole leak, believe me I've been there and while yours is a smaller version of a pond, it's a real hassle to locate and repair pinhole leaks.

LeoDiaz

It's always better to have underlay, a small rock over time can with the pressure of the water create a pinhole leak, believe me I've been there and while yours is a smaller version of a pond, it's a real hassle to locate and repair pinhole leaks.
Is basiclly in a wooden box how will the rock get under the liner? I would be putting some plywood on the bottom to make it all box so it never touches the ground.

Dadio

Is basiclly in a wooden box how will the rock get under the liner? I would be putting some plywood on the bottom to make it all box so it never touches the ground.

Example, wood can splinter, even a fine peak of wood that splits can become a needle. Sure you can do without but why take the risk? Coat the wood with a barrier product, heavy duty primer or rubberized product. I've dealt with the most idiotioc leaks caused by a simple over-sight. The extra work and minor cost also gives peace of mind.

LeoDiaz

Example, wood can splinter, even a fine peak of wood that splits can become a needle. Sure you can do without but why take the risk? Coat the wood with a barrier product, heavy duty primer or rubberized product. I've dealt with the most idiotioc leaks caused by a simple over-sight. The extra work and minor cost also gives peace of mind.
ill do some primer how to I keep it from overflowing.

LeoDiaz

Not sure what you mean? Overflow due to?

like when it rains so the water has a place to go when starts getting to full.

Dadio

Here's what I'd do. Get a 1.5 inch section of pvc, elbow if you wish. Insert to the top edge, connect a flexible drain hose and run a length to the edge of the patio so that is drops any overflow.

LWormy

You can drill a hole on the side of the pond and attach a PVC pipe to it. Locate it high up close to the rI'm and when the water level rise to a certain point it will flow out of that pipe and into wherever you want to drain that water. Make sure to have a net covering the pipe though because fish can be washed out of it and that would be bad.

LeoDiaz

what nice flowering plants will work in a small pond?

Dadio

There are lots of nice plants that can add a great impact, but seeing as it's on the patio you could even layout lettuce or other veggies thus providing food and filtration. Use a supporting grate 2-4 inch below water line and tie in plants all down the roots through grate to be micro filters and water purifiers. Many types of irises can be adapted to water or the yellow flag iris which is a true bog plant adds spear shaped leafs and beautiful yellow flowers that can be cut for indoors.

LWormy

You can also build an aquaponic system. It is really easy. Google "aquaponic" and you will get all the informations you need to know about it.

LeoDiaz

I want normal pond plants like water lilies etc. Not trying to do aquaponics just like the look of pond with a lot of plants. will a 7by10ft liner be enought for my pond design?

Dadio

I want normal pond plants like water lilies etc. Not trying to do aquaponics just like the look of pond with a lot of plants. will a 7by10ft liner be enought for my pond design?

Pond plants / veggie filters

Using the right ones will give you both beauty and filtration of your pond.

Lay it out on paper like a box unfolded, then measure length width with 10 % more and that will give you the minimum required.

marytsharp

Dadio, and Rivieraneo You guys are the immortal gods of the pond world.

Flowergarden129

For a really simple approach, look at this design:

You can use almost anything to protect the liner, as underlayment. Old carpet is often used, some people even use newspaper. It's also pretty cheap to buy pond underlayment to install between the frame and the pond liner.

Blk69

Going to through this out there. How about getting a galvanized feeding trough and putting decorative wood, bricks, whatever on the sides. Can easily get on 70 to 100 gallon. Steel construction will be more puncture resistant that a rubber pond liner. Thinking your costs should not be to high.

I set up one of these just as a temporary experiment. So far it is going well and very easy to take care of.

removed

Wendyworld

That is awesome!!

Fish forum lovin wendyworld!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Rich72
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
SnookusFish
  • aWildGarbageCan