Smal Cichlids

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by 2211Nighthawk, Jul 19, 2017.

1. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I have a funny shaped 15g sitting empty and I want to do something with it. I've been looking at shell dwellers but I can't find any around me. A pair or male and 2 females is all I looking for but i really want to do cichlids. I already have a tropical tank.

It's 12x12 by I think 24 inches. I know it calculated out to 15 gallons.

Other then the Shellies, what kind would for? I have a very limited selection because they're all labled assorted. I like the look of those krib cichlids but I don't know if they would work.

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Kribs would work. Two males and a female until a pair forms and one needs to be removed.

1m/2f groups of apistogramma species would work also.

3. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

A male/female pair of apistogramma borellii would be ok in there, with a group of 8-12 ember tetras

4. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Would the tetras have to be there as dither fish? I want to do just the pair/trio of cichlids. I'm not looking for a crazy active tank. My other two take care of that. :D

5. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Oh, forgot to say in original post, no rams. I already have a pretty boy in my 20g.

6. JeffK

They typically make the apistos feel more secure. You could certainly try it without them, and just add them if needed.

7. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

So what size would they need to be and how do I sex them. And wouldent it be better to do two females to one male, ? That just sounds backwards to what I've heard about pairing fish.

8. JeffK

With kribs, I believe the females are typically the aggressors.

9. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Okie dokie.

10. MikeRad89

Correct. The female kribs are the ones who initiate spawning and select a mate. Multiple males can be kept together, but never multiple females unless you're looking to establish a pair and have the ability to remove the other female.

11. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Oh very interesting. So how do they pair off? And is it fast, like a week or two or how long before they pair off?

12. MikeRad89

Kribs typically pair off very quickly, and do not stop breeding.

If you have a small overturned clay pot, you'll have fry.

The females belly turns deep purple and she'll swim in front of the male and curve her body into a U shape to show him the color. She typically will not stop until the male submits and they find a spawning site. If you haven't seen the female in a day or so, she's guarding eggs.

13. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

How about a pair of Dwarf Flag Cichlids or Cockatoo Cichlids?

14. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Uh oh, the ones at the petstore might all be males then. :) gonna have to go stare at the tank again. Another question, in a 15g how fast would i have to rehome the fry because of bioload and whatnot. Is a pair a fully stocked tank or will they be able to grow out a bit in a 15. (I have another 5g and possibly a 10 if all else)

I've heard of them, it's people's inability to label them that's the issue. Unless I got to a specific cichlid store I don't have a clue what I'm getting. Those kribs are obvious enough that I know what I'm getting.

15. JeffK

A cockatoo cichlid is just another name for apistogramma cacatuoides.
    Dwarf flag cichlids (laetacara curviceps) usually turn out to be laetacara dorsigera that have been misidentified.

16. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Yeah, neither of those names help. :D not when they're labled 'small assorted cichlids'

17. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

I think Smiling Acara are the same thing as Dwarf Flags. Here are some Cichlids besides Rams that should work, Dwarf Flag, Cockatoo, Kribs, Agassizi's Dwarf Cichlid, I think most Shell Dwellers would work, and i would say others have some more that would work in your tank.

18. JeffK

You could take a look here:

19. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Very nice. I'll have to go over it in detail on my laptop.

20. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

Nannacara anomala--golden dwarf cichlid--would also do well in there. Can you order fish online? A tank of "small mixed cichlids" is likely Africans.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice