Sluggish Snail Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Jackie Frost, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Jackie FrostValued MemberMember

Hi. I haven't been around for a while, but that's only because my fish tank has been getting along so well. All the fish get along well together and are happy and healthy. The only thing that is troubling me now is my snail who has been acting very strange lately. He never glides across the glass anymore. He rarely eats. (Just to make sure he gets his food I've been putting him on top of his non-copper algae chips. Even then he often ignores his food. And forget about zuchinni and lettuce. The platys and cory will nibble at them but my snail NEVER does!) What could possibly be wrong? Is he hibernating? Is he sick. How can I help him?

P.S. I checked the pH just in case that was bothering him and it's at 7.6. That's good for snails, right?

2. steed1172

steed1172Well Known MemberMember

welcome back to FL miss. frost! you PH is fine for snails.

but with a tempreture of 80°F your snail may feel its too hot, i found my snails don't like to be in warm water for long periods of time, which may or may not be whats bugging the fella'

are your water perimeters in check?

3. OP
    OP
    J

Jackie FrostValued MemberMember

Thanks for replying Steed. As of today amonia is 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates are 20. (A little high -time to do a water change!)

As for the temperature, I hope that's not the problem because I have a hard time with lowering it. (I live in Florida where even 40 degrees is rare) As a matter of fact I'm dreading the summer because my tank will often rise to 82 and sometimes even to 84! And that's with full time air conditioning!

He's gliding around a little bit now but with both his attenae tucked in (and that's not like him at all.) I hope he's okay. I'm kind of attached to the little guy. His name is Loop.

4. rainman

rainmanWell Known MemberMember

Aerate with a strong air pump. This will help to increase the exchange of gases at the waters surface, thereby helping to raise DO levels. It will also aid heat exchange at the surface.

- If your aquarium is well-covered, open the covers on your tank, and place nylon netting over the openings to prevent fish from jumping out. This allows heat to escape. You can aid this process further by directing the air-flow of a small fan across the top of the tank.

- If your aquarium equipment is in a closed cabinet stand below your fish tank, open the cabinet doors and place a fan circulating air into the cabinet area to allow heat created from pumps to escape.

-Is your aquarium in a small room, or is it in a large living area? If it's in your room and if possible get a small unit air-conditioner.
    -Lastly, if possible buy an  . (yikes they are expensive though)

5. steed1172

antennae tucked in could mean, hes not feeling well, hes scared(fish picking on him) so hes not fully wanting to leave them out to get bitten, or the water quality is to his disliking.
    another thing to consider is if hes getting "too" much food, i mean being a snail, if you have all the food you need or could ever want right there(or already inside of you) why bother being active to find food?(my just thought up random theory of the lazy snail..)

P.S rarely getting 40... its been 40-50 here, and thats nice weather!!(for just after 5 FT of snow)

6. OP
    OP
    J

Jackie FrostValued MemberMember

You guys were right! He keeps his attenae tucked in all the time now. So I started watching him for a half an hour and sure enough I discovered my 'baby' platy, the tiniest fish in my tank was picking at him. She'd nibble at him causing him to withdrawl in his shell (never all of the way) and then come back five to ten minutes later and repeat the process. You wouldn't know that it was occuring unless you watched the tank uninterupted for a long time because she spaces her attacks at five minute intervals!

So now I'm keeping Survivor (the name of my youngest platy) in the fry tank and we'll see if Loop's health improves. If he gets significantly better then I'm going to donate 'Survivor' to my LFS. Funny, her daddy was overly aggressive too and I had to return him to the store. It must be genetic. None of my other fish pick on Loop.:;dk

P.S. I hear you Steed, but we Floridians pay for our mild Winters with ridiculously hot Summers. I'm talking about 100 -120 degrees average for at least five months! (That's when you factor into the humidity.) That's why I have such a hard time controlling the temperature of my tank during the Summer. Great advice about the nylon, Rainman! I'm not going to keep the tank light off during the Summer too.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. steed1172

well im "glad" you found the culprit , as you now know what was the problem, but its kinda sad to have to separate fish :(.. although in your situation this is easier fixed them him feeling summer is getting old lawl.

best of luck with the warming weather- we get into 100 a couple days a year, and close to the lake, humidity is also high, so i know how it feels.... but lucky for ME its only been 3 days most i can remember ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice