Sluggish Crab

1. hermitdude Initiate Member

Well it's been day 2 with striker and ice being here and so far ice is molting. But strike is a bit sluggish today he feels scared around runner and he likes like a toddler crab and I wanna get good shells today so I can get him out that painted shell. Should I give grapes in stead of powdered Betta food or more fruits and veggies.

2. odelayheehoo Initiate Member

Maybe lay out a little bit of both, so he can choose. Sluggish crabs always scared me, cuz I didn't know if I was dealing with molting, sickness, or whatever else.

When crabs are really sick, like after a major molting catastrophe or fight, I would feed them honey from a small dish. Be sure to clean all the sticky stuff off when he's done! :)

3. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Hermit Crabs?

What size is the tank you are keeping them in currently?
    Hermit crabs need to be fed fruits, and vegetables. You may also feed them food meant for hermit crabs, such as a meal, or pellet variety.

I have 4 hermit crab, and I feed them.
    JurrasiDiet Hermit Crab Formula
    Coconut Shavings
    Fruit Salad
    Ocasionally some veggies.

4. hermitdude Initiate Member

Yes hermit crabs lol its on the hermit crab fourm
    And 10 about to get 20 gal in a couple months
    How to feed them honey without the harmful things

5. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Alright, sounds great.
    Feed them 100% Unfiltered Honey.

When you upgrade, get a 20g long.

6. hermitdude Initiate Member

Where do I find the honey

7. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

What type of honey do you have right now?

8. hermitdude Initiate Member

None lol

9. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Just get a natural brand honey from your grocery store.
    I never tried honey before, but I think I'll give it a try.

10. odelayheehoo Initiate Member

The brand I've seen the most is called Really Raw honey. I see it mostly in Whole Foods.

But please don't feed honey except as a last resort. The only time I ever gave honey was when I had a bad surface molt and the crab had been attacked. Many of his limbs were missing. He used his feet & mouthparts to eat.

Fresh fruit and the other things Fanatic mentioned should be enough, unless the crab is literally on the edge of death. It might be that he has a case of PPS "Post Purchase Stress" and in that case he should not be picked up much until he comes around. Put him near the food and leave him there for several days.

Just a quick edit: if you feed commercial food, please make sure there is no copper sulfate in it. Copper is death to inverts, and it can slowly poison them if you keep feeding it.

11. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

You also should refrain from handling the crabs for a few days after purchasing them.
    I didn't do this, because my crabs were super active, and I fed them after purchasing them.