Slowly Upgrading 55 To 75 Gallon

jenmur

Ok so I figured I might as well start a little thread for myself to keep my spirits up while I gather things for my 55 gallon community tank.

I have the tank from my vet (no leaks!) I have a gravel vacuum and I JUST got a SunSun 302 canister filter (264gph). Used. Yes I know that's less than what I need but I bought it for more bacteria and back up.

My ideas are get an AquaClear 110 HOB cuz paranoid hence 2 filters.
Use Black Diamond blasting sand.
Get at least 2 pieces driftwood
Get heater rated for 75 gallon or two for 55g. They will be set for 75*
Glass lid.
Metal stand from Petco
Python water changer
Osmocote Plus fertilizer and gel capsules.
Decorations
Live plants!!
Anubias
Java fern
Amazon sword
Water wisteria
Anacharis
Banana plant
Dwarf Saggitaria
Val (Jungle, spiral)
Temple Compacta
Rotala
Micromeria browneii
Monte Carlo
(Probably not all of these)
Lights. (24/7 Planted Plus

Fish!!!
Bristlenose Pleco
Black neon tetras
Cherry barbs
Panda cories
SuzanaBanana. Soocold
Dave75g. bizaliz3. TexasDomer. (In case you are interested and you guys are pretty knowledgeable and Liz I'm getting one of your Plecos so only fair)

My tank!

205e4f906c6154299184b7c3122b9b94.jpg

My gravel vac

0500f02d9a548a9d939eb7ab8c76a1bf.jpg

My SunSun 302

66f0f9aa68e7d7fbdd91cd364c555772.jpg

Dave125g

And so it begins. What color background are you gonna use? What is the GPH on the aqua clear ?

jenmur

Ed204. I will post pics of things as I get them. This is gonna be slow going sadly although I have a bunch of pet sitting jobs in June and July coming up!

SuzanaBanana. Neither can I!!! Hehe

Dave75g. Yep! Figured since I actually bought a canister filter might as well start and keep track of things! I think it's almost 500gph. Not 100% sure but it's enough to have it by itself o this tank. I hadn't even thought of a background.

KingD. Same here!! I'm gonna post a better pic of the SunSun today since it's daytime now.

Ok so just took pics of the SunSun this morning . Yay!!

29f5283e050466a3c98452333131e0b8.jpg

I was told the short hook is output and the longer one is intake. I'm thinking I could put a sponge prefilter on the intake tube??

50c03af50a747b6b3e8f37ea5751b0a2.jpg

And the other side of the filter with guessing the prime button

c9fe742df90131ed9f1bd14c782fc287.jpg

SuzanaBanana

Goig back to the idea of background, you don't have to have one. But it would be a good idea to pick something that will go with the theme of your decor. Or even a solid color to make everything pop.
I went with a reef background since my big pieces are faux reef

jenmur

SuzanaBanana said:
Goig back to the idea of background, you don't have to have one. But it would be a good idea to pick something that will go with the theme of your decor. Or even a solid color to make everything pop.
I went with a reef background since my big pieces are faux reef
I've thought about it at random times but no clue how to put one on. Or which to pick. Umm mostly plants, thinking a sunken ship for a Pleco cave (shamelessly stolen from bizaliz3) maybe a skull if I can find a safe one for my fish, maybe something else or two.

Oh cool! Oh any ideas on if I could attach a pre filter sponge on the canister intake? It's just an open tube currently although the guy have me two strainers I could put on so less chance of fish swimming up the tube.

SuzanaBanana

jenmur said:
I've thought about it at random times but no clue how to put one on. Or which to pick. Umm mostly plants, thinking a sunken ship for a Pleco cave (shamelessly stolen from bizaliz3) maybe a skull if I can find a safe one for my fish, maybe something else or two.

Oh cool! Oh any ideas on if I could attach a pre filter sponge on the canister intake? It's just an open tube currently although the guy have me two strainers I could put on so less chance of fish swimming up the tube.
Well I have one that I literally just taped to the back of my tank. I believe you can buy some that are sticker, but that's too permanent for me lol

About the sponge, honestly I'm not too sure, ive never used one. Maybe someone else can chime in?

lyfeoffishin

For background I'd suggest one of two things...
1) spray paint the panel that will be against a wall black before adding water or anything into the tank (looks nice and won't get water marks etc.

2) black plastic background paper from petco/petsmart. Can let you move tank to different position throughout time. Although sometimes will catch some water spots etc between it and the tank.

Below is a picture of my tank tonight after adding some fish. It's option #2 because I didn't have the time to paint mine or I would have. Also I would have rather went with regular sand instead of black sand.

f8dc025fe6ba10af4d0d0c7de13ad1c2.jpg

As for the filter go for a sponge on the end most people do. I have sponge pre filters on my aquaclears

SuzanaBanana

lyfeoffishin said:
I LOVE the way its SO dark with the background and sand, makes everything else POP!

jenmur

SuzanaBanana alrighty. Cool beans

lyfeoffishin. Huh. I haven't seen a black background at Petco yet, blue yes black no. Your tank is beautiful! I'm doing black sand in mine as well. Might throw in a bag of white for a mixture.

Dave125g

Ive got blue background with black sand. I'd rather have black background. My wife wanted blue. If you have dark fish there harder to see with black background.

Soocold

jenmur said:
My ideas are get an AquaClear 110 HOB cuz paranoid hence 2 filters.
Use Black Diamond blasting sand.
Get at least 2 pieces driftwood
Get heater rated for 75 gallon or two for 55g. They will be set for 75*
Glass lid.
Metal stand from Petco
Python water changer
Osmocote Plus fertilizer and gel capsules.
Decorations
Live plants!!
Anubias
Java fern
Amazon sword
Water wisteria
Anacharis
Banana plant
Dwarf Saggitaria
Val (Jungle, spiral)
Temple Compacta
Rotala
Micromeria browneii
Monte Carlo
(Probably not all of these)
Lights. (24/7 Planted Plus)
Having two filters is good for redundancy, but you only have as much bacteria as you do fish. And if a filter is used but dry, you'll still have to start a cycle like normal.

I have ౩- 300w heaters for all my tanks. One on my my 56gal display tank with a digital controller, one in the fry 55gal using it's internal control, and a new in box spare.

I don't like the worry of osmocote floating, but ive also never used. I'm a big seachem product fan, but got my dry fertilizers from greenleafaquarium.com I agree your not going to fit all those plants, and some won't thrive and spread without running a Co2 setup.

jenmur

Dave75g. Hmm with a black background do you think I'd still be able to see my Black neon tetras and Panda cories?

lyfeoffishin. Oh hmm, I haven't looked at backgrounds in a while. Maybe if they have it they were put the day I looked?

Soocold. After Ninja died I am paranoid about making sure I have bacteria. Oh I plan on buying new media for the canister and doing a fishless cycle with ammonia.

I was planning on using Aqueon Adjustable heaters in my quarantine tank and in my 55. The controller is on top of the heater. You would recommend using a 300w one?

TexasDomer suggested the Osmocote Plus I believe. Says she puts it in gel capsules and puts them under the substrate. I will check out that site, thanks!!

I'm going through my shiny plant phase. I did this with fish writing down all the pretty schooling fish I saw then I narrowed it down. These are plants both I want (Anubias, Java fern) and suggested or oh pretty. Gonna research them all of course! Which ones do you think would need CO2?

Guys is my canister ok? I could set it up as is or was I taken for an idiot??

Guy said short hook is output and long piece is intake. I would just have to hang them on the back of the tank.

ba02a017cde8266a4d48f199a392610a.jpg

Here is the ends of the two pieces. The smaller one on top is output. One on bottom is intake.

c8186048a6276b7a2c29c6058e7fd228.jpg

Soocold

jenmur said:
Dave75g. Hmm with a black background do you think I'd still be able to see my Black neon tetras and Panda cories?

lyfeoffishin. Oh hmm, I haven't looked at backgrounds in a while. Maybe if they have it they were put the day I looked?

Soocold. After Ninja died I am paranoid about making sure I have bacteria. Oh I plan on buying new media for the canister and doing a fishless cycle with ammonia.

I was planning on using Aqueon Adjustable heaters in my quarantine tank and in my 55. The controller is on top of the heater. You would recommend using a 300w one?

TexasDomer suggested the Osmocote Plus I believe. Says she puts it in gel capsules and puts them under the substrate. I will check out that site, thanks!!

I'm going through my shiny plant phase. I did this with fish writing down all the pretty schooling fish I saw then I narrowed it down. These are plants both I want (Anubias, Java fern) and suggested or oh pretty. Gonna research them all of course! Which ones do you think would need CO2?
Anubis and Java are just fine without Co2. I've got more Java fern than I have space for, and I don't run co2. I've donated chunks to my daughter's classroom for some frog tanks of theirs. Here are my biggest clusters that started as a single 5 leaf plant from the LFS about a year ago.
f98c84b6fde63e51fced6cbd0ba49735.jpg

6804441fef4802b47d2c3698b0cbb8c8.jpg

I have the cheap ViaAqua 300-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat that stay fairly accurate. I went large on my heaters because my tanks sit on an exterior wall, my top off water is 55*F in the winter, and I keep the house cool all year round. The heater can bring the temp back up on large water changes within a few hrs. On my display tank I have a finnex digital controller that keeps the temp more accurate and has a high/low temp alarm. And a secondary safety shut off should the primary switch stick on and overheat the tank.
I plan to switch everything over to finnex stainless heaters but cost got in the way at the time.

I've never had problems with seachem root tabs and just add a new tab every 3mo. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to do the MC without Co2 and high lighting.

jenmur

Soocold. Beautiful plants! Oh wow! Hehe, and I wanna try Java fern in my 10 gallon betta tank. He already has an Anubias nana.

Hmm I had to go bigger in my betta tank due to temperature in house in winter. But when I move neither tank will be near an outside wall. Yes want accurate temperature.

Hmm maybe not the Monte Carlo. Hehe. I want low/medium light plants.

ounderfla69

What also works well for the background and is cheap and you get a lot is contact paper. For $5 you get enough to do 5 or 6 tanks.

jenmur

ounderfla69 said:
What also works well for the background and is cheap and you get a lot is contact paper. For $5 you get enough to do 5 or 6 tanks.
Oh wow! Hmm.

Dave125g

jenmur said:

Guys is my canister ok? I could set it up as is or was I taken for an idiot??

Guy said short hook is output and long piece is intake. I would just have to hang them on the back of the tank.

ba02a017cde8266a4d48f199a392610a.jpg

Here is the ends of the two pieces. The smaller one on top is output. One on bottom is intake.

c8186048a6276b7a2c29c6058e7fd228.jpg
I couldn't see my meta Cory's with the black background they stand out way better with the blue.

jenmur

Dave75g said:
I couldn't see my meta Cory's with the black background they stand out way better with the blue.
Hmm. Maybe go with the blue then. Blue could look like a water background? Or maybe get one with a design on back?

I'm gonna have to build my own spray bar for the output on the SunSun. Luckily I have a very handy husband.

Dave125g

jenmur said:
Hmm. Maybe go with the blue then. Blue could look like a water background? Or maybe get one with a design on back?

I'm gonna have to build my own spray bar for the output on the SunSun. Luckily I have a very handy husband.
The white sand looks better with the blue background IMHO. I like the fact that the darker fish stand out. I don't like the blue with black substrate tho.

jenmur

Dave75g said:
The white sand looks better with the blue background IMHO. I like the fact that the darker fish stand out. I don't like the blue with black substrate tho.
Hmm, cuz I'll be using black sand although I have tossed around the thought of adding a bag of white or nutral colored sand and mixing it up.

Hmm more I'm thinking of a design if I can find a river type design. My fish are found in rivers and tributaries so that could be a good theme.

max h

A darker blue background can look nice with the black sand. With a tank the size of a 55 I would just paint it on, a can of spray paint is a couple of dollars. Once the tank is in place and setup you really don't want to have to move it until you decide to sell it.

jenmur

max h said:
A darker blue background can look nice with the black sand. With a tank the size of a 55 I would just paint it on, a can of spray paint is a couple of dollars. Once the tank is in place and setup you really don't want to have to move it until you decide to sell it.
I wouldn't call what Petco had a dark blue. The spray paint would be safe? Just the outside and by the time I get my fish totally safe? Oh yeah so not ever want to move it. Not planning on selling it.

lyfeoffishin

Spray paint would be totally safe. Although I suggest you look it up and judge for yourself

jenmur

lyfeoffishin said:
Spray paint would be totally safe. Although I suggest you look it up and judge for yourself
Oh I will . Got lots of things to look up thanks to everyone who has replied!! Almost got my heater for this tank but decided to get my betta some Anacharis.

max h

Spray paint is fine, mask off the area you don't want to paint. Use some denatured alcohol or 91% isopropal alcohol to kdegrease the glass and spray away. It took one $4 can to cover the back glass of my 110 gallon. I really wish I would have done black, but the darker blue came out fine.

jenmur

max h said:
Spray paint is fine, mask off the area you don't want to paint. Use some denatured alcohol or 91% isopropal alcohol to kdegrease the glass and spray away. It took one $4 can to cover the back glass of my 110 gallon. I really wish I would have done black, but the darker blue came out fine.
Alrighty. I'll look this up . I'd go with the 91%. Really cheap. Hehe. Yeah I'd like to not spray the trI'm cuz it looks like wood.

max h

jenmur said:
Alrighty. I'll look this up . I'd go with the 91%. Really cheap. Hehe. Yeah I'd like to not spray the trI'm cuz it looks like wood.
My tanks have wood looking trI'm too, mask with a strip of painters or masking tape first then add the tape and paper to finish protecting the glass and top of the tank. A razor blade can also help to trI'm any access tape that you may get on the glass. All denatured alcohol is, is ethanol alcohol, with some methanol alcohol added so people won't drink it. It does a great job.

jenmur

max h said:
My tanks have wood looking trI'm too, mask with a strip of painters or masking tape first then add the tape and paper to finish protecting the glass and top of the tank. A razor blade can also help to trI'm any access tape that you may get on the glass. All denatured alcohol is, is ethanol alcohol, with some methanol alcohol added so people won't drink it. It does a great job.
Oh cool! I haven't seen any tanks with wood trI'm except mine before!! My vet got it years ago for his son. Awesome! We usually have those things in the house anyways .

max h

Both my 110 and 55 tanks have wood trim, it's the old school touch. They do go well with a lighter colored wood stand.

jenmur

max h said:
Both my 110 and 55 tanks have wood trim, it's the old school touch. They do go well with a lighter colored wood stand.
Sweet!!! My 10 gallon betta tank has the black trI'm so I'll have one of each. . I wish I could have a wood stand but neither have the money to buy one or the time to build one . Unless I find a really heavy duty dresser and someone to bring it to my house!

max h

The wood stands can cost a fortune, mine where both off of craigslist. The stand cost for my 110 new is way more then what I bought the whole setup for.

jenmur

max h said:
The wood stands can cost a fortune, mine where both off of craigslist. The stand cost for my 110 new is way more then what I bought the whole setup for.
I haven't found just a stand for a 55 on Craigslist yet. I am looking though and if I find on I'll probably snatch it up. Got the SunSun off of Craigslist!

Soocold

A little side note on seachem Excel, use a diluted metricide 14 WITHOUT THE ACTIVATOR. 10ml of metricide vs 10ml of excel is actually about 2.4x stronger (iirc). Part of my daily fert dose is 2:1 metricide:custom fertilizer blend, and then every Sunday after a WC a dose of seachem flourish.

jenmur

Soocold. What is metricide 14? I haven't heard of it and I didn't see anything about diluting Excel. Why do you do this? Why use both Excel and Flourish?

tfreema. Welcome to the club. The slow going club at least next couple weeks.

ounderfla69

If you paint you can use spray paint, or get some acrylic paint at the hobby stores and a small roller. The advantage of acrylic it can be removed with a credit card. You can also use plastic dip, which can also be peeled off. You can use poster board or you can get a frosted background and put some sticks behind it and create a shadow box.

Soocold

jenmur said:
Soocold. What is metricide 14? I haven't heard of it and I didn't see anything about diluting Excel. Why do you do this? Why use both Excel and Flourish?

tfreema. Welcome to the club. The slow going club at least next couple weeks.
you don't use both, metricide is a low cost replacement of seachem excel. They have the same active ingredient, but one has a fancy label and name brand .

at the time of posting excel is $36.9 for 2L or .18/10ml

and again at the time of posting metricide 14 is 24.99 for 1 gal or .04/6ml
6ml of metricide is the same concentration as 10ml of seachem flourish excel.

jenmur

Soocold said:
you don't use both, metricide is a low cost replacement of seachem excel. They have the same active ingredient, but one has a fancy label and name brand .

at the time of posting excel is $36.9 for 2L or .18/10ml

and again at the time of posting metricide 14 is 24.99 for 1 gal or .04/6ml
6ml of metricide is the same concentration as 10ml of seachem flourish excel.
Oh ok. Cool . Thanks for the links

ounderfla69 said:
If you paint you can use spray paint, or get some acrylic paint at the hobby stores and a small roller. The advantage of acrylic it can be removed with a credit card. You can also use plastic dip, which can also be peeled off. You can use poster board or you can get a frosted background and put some sticks behind it and create a shadow box.
Shadow box wouldn't be good in my house! Hehehe! I have cats. I'm thinking either some sort of paint or a river design background currently.

tfreema

jenmur said:
Ed204. I will post pics of things as I get them. This is gonna be slow going sadly although I have a bunch of pet sitting jobs in June and July coming up!

SuzanaBanana. Neither can I!!! Hehe

Dave75g. Yep! Figured since I actually bought a canister filter might as well start and keep track of things! I think it's almost 500gph. Not 100% sure but it's enough to have it by itself o this tank. I hadn't even thought of a background.

KingD. Same here!! I'm gonna post a better pic of the SunSun today since it's daytime now.

Ok so just took pics of the SunSun this morning . Yay!!

29f5283e050466a3c98452333131e0b8.jpg

I was told the short hook is output and the longer one is intake. I'm thinking I could put a sponge prefilter on the intake tube??

50c03af50a747b6b3e8f37ea5751b0a2.jpg

And the other side of the filter with guessing the prime button

c9fe742df90131ed9f1bd14c782fc287.jpg
I would not use a sponge prefilter unless you have fry in the tank. It inhibits the performance of the filter and prevents the stuff from getting sucked in. It just gets stuck to the sponge.

I have started just using poster board for background. I like the contact paper idea though.

jenmur said:

You can find the spray bars and intake baskets on eBay for cheap.

jenmur

tfreema. I do not plan on fry although I know they could happen. Oh do not want to mess up with filter workings . They are both just open tubes. The guy gave me two things but both are too big. He said I could just use Aquarium Sealant but gaps are big.

Is that what they are called on the intake tube? Baskets? Good to know, thanks! . Could maybe also build one. I've heard of people doing that.

This is a right angled one looking in

e9199b3af6f473b6abcd69723e872745.jpg

And looking down where I'd have to attach it to the tube with a bunch of sealant somehow

3319de5a211b232ab939924d3fdaecd2.jpg

This is the other one

f83345b6eef8302ea8017758813ec7e6.jpg

But as you can tell the attaching end is HUGE!!! Compared to intake tube size

22f0b78888d3b3d9c3cf85d34ac67dcd.jpg

tfreema

Personally, I would just order the accessories off ebay. So cheap and this same buyer has awesome led lights for a lot less.

jenmur

tfreema said:
Personally, I would just order the accessories off ebay. So cheap and this same buyer has awesome led lights for a lot less.
I will check those out, thanks! My husband is the only one with an eBay account but I can transfer money from my PayPal to him.

Hopefully they have this stuff regularly! Squee!!

tfreema

jenmur said:
I will check those out, thanks! My husband is the only one with an eBay account but I can transfer money from my PayPal to him.

Hopefully they have this stuff regularly! Squee!!
They do. I just added another link to the post for comparison to another seller. I ordered some because I have a generic canister filter and was trying to find something that would fit to change from green to black. They were very sturdy and a lot easier for me than doing a DIY, but I am not good at that sort of thing. The spray bars worked, but intake baskets I am still looking for.....

max h

Those are not the factory parts for the Sunsun filters. Factory parts are a transparent green in color.

tfreema

max h said:
Those are not the factory parts for the Sunsun filters. Factory parts are a transparent green in color.
The hoses are, but I am pretty sure the pieces that goes into the tank are black. I don't have a sunsun so not staking my life on that, lol.

max h

The intake parts are black my bust, thinking about another filter.

bubblegum-heart

Subbed to see what you do with this! Best of luck with your build!

jenmur

tfreema. Awesome sauce! Then I might be able to buy stuff sooner than I thought although I do have a bunch of pet sitting jobs coming up next few months! Why are you still looking for intake baskets? Or do you have a different canister than a SunSun?

max h. The couple videos I have seen so far all have transparent green hoses and black tubes. So far I have only looked up SunSun videos since that is what I have.

bubblegum-heart. Welcome to the club! . I can't wait to see what I come up with either! Hehe. Feel free to chime in with ideas

tfreema

jenmur said:
tfreema. Awesome sauce! Then I might be able to buy stuff sooner than I thought although I do have a bunch of pet sitting jobs coming up next few months! Why are you still looking for intake baskets? Or do you have a different canister than a SunSun?

max h. The couple videos I have seen so far all have transparent green hoses and black tubes. So far I have only looked up SunSun videos since that is what I have.

bubblegum-heart. Welcome to the club! . I can't wait to see what I come up with either! Hehe. Feel free to chime in with ideas
Mine is a generic canister filter off Amazon that works great, but has ugly green parts. As I started rescaping and switching to live plants, I realized they stood out like a sore thumb, lol. It's supposed to be a sunsun knock off so I hoped those parts would work.! The spray bar did, but not the intake basket. Wrong size.

bizaliz3

I like the look of a frosted glass background! Have you looked into that at all?

I agree with tfreemabuy the replacement parts for the sunsun!! That's the best choice. How much were you charged for that used filter? If You don't mind me asking?

jenmur

tfreema. Ah ok. I'm glad at least one part you got worked! Good luck finding right size!

bizaliz3. I dunno how I would do that. The stand is pretty well the size of the tank. If those people have the stuff next month I could order the stuff. The SunSun I got for $35. I just looked for reviews of it and the other one they had and the SunSun had better reviews.

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom