Slowly Upgrading 55 To 75 Gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by jenmur, Apr 7, 2017.

1. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

Ok so I figured I might as well start a little thread for myself to keep my spirits up while I gather things for my 55 gallon community tank.

I have the tank from my vet (no leaks!) I have a gravel vacuum and I JUST got a SunSun 302 canister filter (264gph). Used. Yes I know that's less than what I need but I bought it for more bacteria and back up.

My ideas are get an AquaClear 110 HOB cuz paranoid hence 2 filters.
    Use Black Diamond blasting sand.
    Get at least 2 pieces driftwood
    Get heater rated for 75g or two for 55g. They will be set for 75*
    Glass lid.
    Metal stand from Petco
    Python water changer
    Osmocote Plus fertilizer and gel capsules.
    Decorations
    Live plants!!
    Anubias
    Java fern
    Amazon sword
    Water wisteria
    Anacharis
    Banana plant
    Dwarf Saggitaria
    Val (Jungle, spiral)
    Temple Compacta
    Rotala
    Micromeria browneii
    Monte Carlo
    (Probably not all of these)
    Lights. (24/7 Planted Plus

Fish!!!
    Bristlenose Pleco
    Black neon tetras
    Cherry barbs
    Panda cories
    @SuzanaBanana. @Soocold
    @Dave75g. @bizaliz3. @TexasDomer. (In case you are interested and you guys are pretty knowledgeable and Liz I'm getting one of your Plecos so only fair)

My tank!

205e4f906c6154299184b7c3122b9b94.jpg

My gravel vac

0500f02d9a548a9d939eb7ab8c76a1bf.jpg

My SunSun 302

66f0f9aa68e7d7fbdd91cd364c555772.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Nice! Remeber to post some pictures and Keep us updated!
    Best of Luck!

3. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBanana Valued Member Member

Cant wait to see your set up!

4. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

And so I begins. What color background are you gonna use? What is the GPH on the aqua clear ?

5. KingD

KingD Fishlore VIP Member

Excited to see more updates as it progresses :)

6. OP
    OP
    jenmur

@Ed204. I will post pics of things as I get them. This is gonna be slow going sadly although I have a bunch of pet sitting jobs in June and July coming up!

@SuzanaBanana. Neither can I!!! Hehe

@Dave75g. Yep! Figured since I actually bought a canister filter might as well start and keep track of things! I think it's almost 500gph. Not 100% sure but it's enough to have it by itself o this tank. I hadn't even thought of a background.

@KingD. Same here!! I'm gonna post a better pic of the SunSun today since it's daytime now.

Ok so just took pics of the SunSun this morning :). Yay!!

[​IMG]

I was told the short hook is output and the longer one is intake. I'm thinking I could put a sponge prefilter on the intake tube??

[​IMG]

And the other side of the filter with guessing the prime button

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  7. SuzanaBanana

Goig back to the idea of background, you dont have to have one. But it would be a good idea to pick something that will go with the theme of your decor. Or even a solid color to make everything pop.
    I went with a reef background since my big pieces are faux reef

8. OP
    OP
    jenmur

I've thought about it at random times but no clue how to put one on. Or which to pick. Umm mostly plants, thinking a sunken ship for a Pleco cave (shamelessly stolen from bizaliz3) maybe a skull if I can find a safe one for my fish, maybe something else or two.

Oh cool! Oh any ideas on if I could attach a pre filter sponge on the canister intake? It's just an open tube currently although the guy have me two strainers I could put on so less chance of fish swimming up the tube.

9. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Nice!! It will look great! :)

10. SuzanaBanana

Well i have one that i literally just taped to the back of my tank. I believe you can buy some that are sticker, but thats too permanent for me lol

About the sponge, honestly im not too sure, ive never used one. Maybe someone else can chime in?

11. lyfeoffishin

lyfeoffishin Valued Member Member

For background I'd suggest one of two things...
    1) spray paint the panel that will be against a wall black before adding water or anything into the tank (looks nice and won't get water marks etc.

2) black plastic background paper from petco/petsmart. Can let you move tank to different position throughout time. Although sometimes will catch some water spots etc between it and the tank.

Below is a picture of my tank tonight after adding some fish. It's option #2 because I didn't have the time to paint mine or I would have. Also I would have rather went with regular sand instead of black sand.

f8dc025fe6ba10af4d0d0c7de13ad1c2.jpg

As for the filter go for a sponge on the end most people do. I have sponge pre filters on my aquaclears

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  12. SuzanaBanana

i LOVE the way its SO dark with the background and sand, makes everything else POP!

13. kjlife

kjlife Valued Member Member

Where did you get that wood I'm looking for something that shape

14. lyfeoffishin

One of my local fish stores that is now closed. I spent 2-4 hrs a week for a good two months looking for the right wood lol

15. kjlife

kjlife Valued Member Member

Oh man that's where I'm at searching fish store and even local creeks not with cave like setting or root structures

16. lyfeoffishin

Check out some nautical stores if you have them around. I've seen some nice pieces of wood at the few shops around me

17. OP
    OP
    jenmur

@SuzanaBanana alrighty. Cool beans :)

@lyfeoffishin. Huh. I haven't seen a black background at Petco yet, blue yes black no. Your tank is beautiful! Im doing black sand in mine as well. Might throw in a bag of white for a mixture.

18. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Ive got blue background with black sand. I'd rather have black background. My wife wanted blue. If you have dark fish there harder to see with black background.

19. lyfeoffishin

@jenmur I got my black background right next to the blue one in my store. Maybe ask them if they have any

20. Soocold

Soocold Well Known Member Member

Having two filters is good for redundancy, but you only have as much bacteria as you do fish. And if a filter is used but dry, you'll still have to start a cycle like normal.

I have ౩- 300w heaters for all my tanks. One on my my 56gal display tank with a digital controller, one in the fry 55gal using it's internal control, and a new in box spare.

I don't like the worry of osmocote floating, but ive also never used. I'm a big seachem product fan, but got my dry fertilizers from greenleafaquarium.com I agree your not going to fit all those plants, and some won't thrive and spread without running a Co2 setup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice