Slowly Losing Fish. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by RaptorBoy02, Aug 15, 2019.

1. RaptorBoy02

RaptorBoy02New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 Gallons
    How long has the tank been running? 1 year, 4 months
    Does it have a filter? Yes.
    Does it have a heater? Yes, replaced after 1 year for a more reliable one.
    What is the water temperature? 76 F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    • 2 Male Mickey Mouse Platies
    • 5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows (which were sold to me as Bloodfin Tetras :emoji_confused:)
    • 1 Male Betta

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    once a week
    How much of the water do you change? 20%
    What do you use to treat your water? Aqueon Water Conditioner
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    Yes
    What do you use to test the water? API Test Kits
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate:20
    pH: 7.8

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    1-3 times a day
    How much do you feed your fish? enough for them to eat in 45 seconds or so.
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One Flakes, Fluval Bug Bites every few days.
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Not regularly.

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had these fish?
    Youngest fish (Betta) is at least 10 months. Oldest was a year and 2 months.
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? I first noticed one of the platies had a torn tail, stopped eating, and died within days.
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? The initial symptoms vary. Fin tears, hole in the head, dropsy. Then the animal begins to act lethargic, hovering over the bottom for a few days, and appetite worsens. Dies shortly after.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? Each time a fish showed signs I've done what treatment was reccomended/possible for the individual symptoms.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Normal behavior until 2-3 weeks after initial symptoms, followed by loss of appetite and lethargy.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    So, over the past few months I've found an undeniable pattern in this tank. First it was my grey MM platy, in January. I saw a chunk from it's tail missing, and he was acting skittish, hiding a lot. I moved him into a breeder net for the next 3 days, where he lost his appetite and died. Seems a little quick for starvation, but it didn't seem to be secondary infection. I simply figured it was my fault, and the other male platy attacked him. Couldn't have been the other fish. Next was the other Platy, who instead showed sudden signs of hole-in-the-head. I replaced all equipment (in fear of stray current having caused this, and I switched filtration responsibly with the nitrifying bacteria in mind), treated the tank with what I could, but he died within a similar time frame, in June. In July I lost a Minnow, same behavioral changes, appetite loss, death. In the past 3 weeks, I've noticed the betta getting dropsy. Tried to get help, but I know it's likely a death sentence. Medicating again. As I'm typing this, I'm guessing he'll be gone by tomorrow. It's hard to not beat myself up over this. I've been worrying that it's something really bad, but somehow it hasn't affected my other planted tank, in spite of a few instances that should've contaminated the system.

2. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +192
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Do you have a hospital tank or are you treating the whole aquarium? Have your water test results been steady? What are you treating with?