slowly dimming lights

michael68

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Has anyone ever tried to wire in an inline dimming switch so when its lights out the effect on the fish is not so drammatic?Not sure if this can be done with non incandesent flourecents.Any input on this subject?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good evening!

It sounds like a cool idea. Never tried it but I'm sure some one here can shed some more light on the subject (no pun intended)

I always try to turn on my room lights before my tank lights come on and I try to turn off my room lights before the tanks lights go out. I think it really helps to prevent that initial LIGHTS ON shock

Let's see what responses you get

Ken

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
that sounds like a great idea, I know a lot of people add LED moon lights to their tank for night time, perhaps a strip of brighter LED's could be hooked up to a dimmer switch and then double as a moon light

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that sounds like a great idea, I know a lot of people add LED moon lights to their tank for night time, perhaps a strip of brighter LED's could be hooked up to a dimmer switch and then double as a moon light
+1 on the moon lights.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To safely dim a fluorescent lamp without reducing the bulb/ballast lifespan, you'd need a specific type of ballast, and the bulbs should always be matched to the ballast. If you just reduce the voltage going to the lamp without using the proper ballast/bulb combination, the filament won't get hot enough and the lamp will typically shut off. If you continue forcing voltage through at insufficient temperatures, the lamp will likely fail prematurely.

Here's a link to a discussion at PlantedTank.net from earlier this year about installing a dimming ballast:

michael68

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How do you turn your grow lights off while just leaving on a moon light,if you only have a single fixture that takes two tubes.My fixture has a 6700k tube and a 10000 k tube for max plant growth.What exactly is a moon light bulb? is it an actinic tube?How do i turn one off without the other?

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How do you turn your grow lights off while just leaving on a moon light,if you only have a single fixture that takes two tubes.My fixture has a 6700k tube and a 10000 k tube for max plant growth.What exactly is a moon light bulb? is it an actinic tube?How do i turn one off without the other?
"Moon lights" are typically low-voltage lights (often LEDs) that are designed to replicate the light of the moon, and are usually on a separate power source/switch from the main tank lights. They offer just enough light to barely see the tank inhabitants by, without being bright enough to cause algae problems or disrupt the fish's day/night cycle.

They can be integrated into a lighting fixture directly from the manufacturer, or they can be added later by the hobbyist, like these:

http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_moonlight_moon_lunar_lamp_current_usa-ap.html
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_78_95&products_id=1350

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use the Octopus Litemaster LED, which has the LED on a separate circuit, so I can put both sets of lights on a timer.

My moonlights come on 30 mins before 'lights out', and go off 30 mins after 'lights on'.

I have also seen some [very expensive] light setups that are computer controlled and can mimic the complete dawn-day-dusk-night flow. Giesemann Systems do some amazing ones (), for a 3ft fixture, you're talking around $3000AUD+

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom