Slowly adding sand / removing gravel

SK417
Hi all,
Posting this here because you likely know better! I have a fairly heavily planted 20 G Long about ~4 months since adding fish after fishless cycle. I have about 6 species of rooted plants all doing well (except some are getting fairly heavy with what I believe is BBA, lately), driftwood, smallish lava rocks, one small sponge filter, and a Tidal 35 HOB. It's home to 4 panda corys, one mystery snail, 2 honey gourami, 5 cherry barbs and 7 neon tetra. Everyone is healthy and happy. I'd like to swap over to mostly sand substrate.

Would you recommend slowly adding / removing it as I change water etc? I'm going to lose some of the elodea due to the BBA, and a couple of other plants that have it thicker than others, but I thought the substrate change / alteration would probably be good for the corys, and also help with slowing the BBA growth if the spores are likely living in the gravel as well. Maybe I'm wrong. Any insight? Thanks!

Pfrozen
Feel free to replace it all at once as nearly all of your BB lives in the filter. Unless you have a Blackwater tank or something super specific like that. Some will say that it does matter which is okay since we all have different opinions. I encourage you to do some research on the topic yourself. One key thing is that there is no water flow through your substrate

Dechi
You will lose a portion of your BB that’s deeper in the gravel. Maybe 15%-20% ? It should be fine but test for ammonia 24 hours after and add Prime if you have a mini-spike.

Cherryshrimp420
Pfrozen said:
Feel free to replace it all at once as nearly all of your BB lives in the filter. Unless you have a Blackwater tank or something super specific like that. Some will say that it does matter which is okay since we all have different opinions. I encourage you to do some research on the topic yourself. One key thing is that there is no water flow through your substrate
Hmmm I would say the opposite is true, since usually the substrate has way more surface area than what is in the filter.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom