Question slow freshwater scavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

upgrade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What is a good, effective, and most importantly slow freshwater scavenger?

I say slow because i need it for a guppy tank and i dont want something that will eat the fry.

I dont know much about scavenger, i have always had plecos in the past but i need something slow or really really small.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would recommend small shrimp, I used to have a group of guppies in my shrimp tank and they lived happily together for a couple of years

How about a snail?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I second dwarf shrimp, I have a dozen or so RCS in with my adult guppies and they don't bother them at all, even the juvy shrimp come up into the water column to feed and don't get a second look.

OP
upgrade

upgrade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alright thanks guys i guess i will go with the dwarf shrimp. As far as color, does that matter? Cherry shrimp is the thing I'm seeing the most of as far as aquabid goes.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cherries are cheapest and really hardy. I'd stay away from ghost shrimp because they're most often bred as food and therefore little care is put into breeding or health. Otherwise RCS, yellow, green, snowball, bee, CRS, etc will all do the job. You can even get a variety *if* you're careful not to mix species that can crossbreed.

(Can you tell I love me some dwarf shrimp? )

-Lisa

OP
upgrade

upgrade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i thought snails were bad? I have read from many to stay away from any type of snail. But i have never had any snails before so I'm just going by what i read.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Certain livebearing snails like malaysian trumpet snails, ramshorns and pond snails have a bad reputation because they can and will multiply exponentially if they have an abundant food supply. Since many people overfeed their fish and don't clean their tanks well, the snails get an all-you-can-eat buffet and the population explodes. Proper fish feeding and tank maintenance = population control. These same snails often hitchhike in on plants and no one likes uninvited guests. But MTS are also really beneficial because they burrow in the substrate and aerate it, preventing the build up of toxic gases.

There are egg-laying snails like mystery snails, that are easy to keep because all you need to do is wipe the eggs off the glass to control the population. Nerite snails need brackish water to reproduce so there is no worry about ending up with hundreds of them.

-Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom