Slow Filter Flow

ghostdawg

I bought the AC30 back in June & running it with a 10g Silent Stream filter on my 20g long. Sept. 9, I cleaned the filter inside & out, but starting last week, it looks like the AC water is coming out slow compared to the 10g filter. I don't think it's packed too tight. I'm using the original carbon, foam & bio balls that came with it.

Do I need to change or remove the Carbon media? Any ideas what could be wrong?

AC30_20200927_105442.jpg

LeviS

is the flow adjustment open? Its above the intake pipe and slides left/right to adjust flow.

ghostdawg

I did moved the flow adjustment all the way to the + side. I also put some sponge on the intake tube when I first setup the filter back in June, and cleaned it Sept 9.

StarGirl

The pre filter sponge slowed my 5g filter way down when it was dirty.

ghostdawg

I can clean the pre filter again, I was beginning to think it may be the cause of the slow down. Thanks for the suggestions.

StarGirl

ghostdawg said:
I can clean the pre filter again, I was beginning to think it may be the cause of the slow down. Thanks for the suggestions.
I would clean it every week when you do your water change. They get clogged fast because they are the first thing the water goes through from the tank.

ghostdawg

I did a 25% water change & cleaned the filter housing and adjusted the media. I replaced the carbon with a new sponge. The water flow is coming out very well.

A question about the carbon. I've had the AC30 since June and would like to know if it was okay to get rid of the carbon or was it too soon?

StarGirl

ghostdawg said:
I did a 25% water change & cleaned the filter housing and adjusted the media. I replaced the carbon with a new sponge. The water flow is coming out very well.

A question about the carbon. I've had the AC30 since June and would like to know if it was okay to get rid of the carbon or was it too soon?
You only need carbon to remove meds and smell. Its not necessary. The sponge will be better.

Top Bottom