Slow feeding betta

DelleBelle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have two bettas right now from petco, they're halfmoon males. One is mine, one is my mom's. My mom's betta is named Lila, and my betta is named Penelope. When we first got them, Lila wouldn't eat anything except for a freeze dried blood worm and Penelope ate pellets and bloodworms. The petco employee told me they feed pellets. I never got lila to eat pellets, but I've been getting her to jump a little bit out of the water and snatch a peice of frozen mysis shrimp from my finger. Penelope on the other hand, is acting strange. When I put in a pellet, he'll ignore it. When it starts to sink, he will stare at it, and by the time he tries to go after it it's already too late to catch it, and he goes down to the bottom and stares at it among the gravel helplessly. I put in another pellet, and the same thing happens time after time. I gave up the pellets and tried mysis shrimp- its the same problem, although sometimes he'll catch a peice, and he'll chew it, spit it out, and try to grab it again, but he'll be too slow and it will sink to the bottom. He'll sit and stare at it stuck in between two pieces of gravel. I can't seem to get him to actually come up and take food from the surface, much less jump like Lila does, he will only chase it in the water, and he's much too slow, out of 10 peices of mysis shrimp I give him he'll catch one or two, and out of that two, 1.5 will sink back down to the bottom after being spit out. It's not that he's not interested in the food, he looks quite sad starting at it in the gravel, but he waits too long to go for the food. My last fish from this same store refused to eat and died, so I'm paranoid about the eating thing. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

LauraMillar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
what are your parameters? maybe he's not feeling well coz of the water conditions and has lost his appetite

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could be anything. Sometimes they can just refuse to eat for about a week or so. Try soaking the food in garlic, it's an appetite stimulant... Good luck!

NOTE: There's a lot of male bettas on here being called girls names at the moment lol, poor boys! Penelope, Lila & Lucy!!!

DelleBelle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not sure of the parameters, he gets weekly 100% water changes though. He's interested in the food, he's just slow to get it. Today I moved his bowl to the kitchen and he ate mysis shrimp just fine. He does eat some food, its just frustrating because for him to get a bite, i have to waste like 10 that just go down to the bottom of the bowl.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well if he's in a bowl, is it heated? and i'm assuming not filtered? do you know about the nitrogen cycle? you don't have any aquarium info up. if he's in an unfiltered bowl, 100%/week isn't often enough. if that's the case, he could have some ammonia poisoning.

damprye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Most of my tanks are bare bottomed, could you try doing that? Mine will eat their food off the bottom of the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom