Slow Build

JDWebb01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looking forward to watching this progress. One look and the image that immediately sprang to mind was indeed the canyons of the southwest.

Funny you should say that...I'm an amateur photographer, here's my 500px site...

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's what I did today, angelcraze, if you have any suggestions, feel free.

View attachment 605618
Well so far, I've googled Eriocaulon cinereum.....and i'm blown away because I've never seen this! I have no suggestions because I don't know how to work with them lol, but your plans look great on paper, I can't wait to see it and watch it fill in :)
And your photography is astonishing :emoji_heart_eyes: !

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really like the revised plan! I personally love that you added color and different types of leaves. The ozelot sword could easily mimic a succulent type plant with the bright green marble spotted leaves and the way it grows in a rosette form. My ozelot swords stay low and compact with lots of light.

Did you know about reneiki sp.mini? I started using it instead of the regular because 1) it grew better for me, and 2) it grows nice and compact.

I'm glad you found blyxia japonica, I was thinking it seems like a plant you would like and easier to find. Has that desert vibe to it.

JDWebb01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm planning getting all my plants from APF, I can't believe how expensive they are! My order comes to $152...LOL

One thing I am looking for is a plant that grows low that I can attach to the top of the large flat rocks. I considered moss, but I want something that shrimp will enjoy, so need some help there.

JDWebb01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK, I've had to make a few adjustments to my plant list. Here's a breakdown of what I have planned;

Anacharis - left corner
Vallisneria Asiatica - right corner
Mircanthemum Monte Carlo - carpet - foreground
Juncus Repens - sporadic among Monte Carlo - mid ground
Bucephalandra Green Wavy - glued to flat section of rock
Java Moss - glued to smaller sections of rock
Rotala Indica Green - background along back
Ammannia Senegalensis - background
Alternanthera Reineckii - along edges of rock
Cardamine Lyrata - background mostly on left side

A frew scheduling issues messed up my weekend, however, we intend to order Wednesday for a Friday or Saturday planting.

JDWebb01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ordered my plants this morning, spent $230 on them. Wife said I could have planted a big garden outside for that price! I ordered from APF, they are in Fontana, CA about 40 miles from me. Should be here in 2-3 days. Next step is plants then water and prepare for the cycling. I also bought more Fluval ceramic bio-media for the 207, removing the charcoal and replacing with the extra media. Had to DIY my glass lily pipes, super glued the rubber connectors from the Fluval pipes to the glass pipes so I could connect the hose. 5/8" tubing is a bit too loose, I tried vinyl and silicone, no go.

JDWebb01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here's what we have so far for our first aquascape. We're in the cycling process after planting last Saturday, getting it filled with water and working out the Ammonia issues.

aquarium.jpg

JDWebb01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi! I just wanted to say that your tank is gorgeous! I’ll be eagerly watching and waiting to see what becomes of this beautiful tank <3

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Love your scape! It looks like a painting ;) The buce and renekii really compliment the desert vibe.

Did you get helferi as a recommendation? I know you got your plants already, but it does match your scape theme very well.
Downoi 'little star' Helferi

Maybe for later ;)

It's good to see how the plants do for you first. Looks great so far and it hasn't even filled in yet. Guess that's the benefit of getting a lot of plants to start.

I used to keep neocaridina shrimp, I had nice bloody red cherries and in another tank, I had blue mixes. My goal was blue bodied blue rili shrimp, which is a mix of blue dream and carbon rili I think! Would love to try them again!

No fish is 100% shrimp safe except otocinclus. But Some ember tetras or celestrial pearl danios might be a good try for your tank. I like clown killifish for small tanks, but they are often right at the surface and good jumpers so not good for a rimless open tank. Another option might be pygmy cories. There are fish that called 'nano' fish. I would google it, there could be some interesting options.

Another one just to consider is dwarf Mexican crayfish. Fits your theme perfectly, like little half water scorpian half crabs ;)
Here's some info
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwater/feature-articles/the-orange-dwarf-crayfish-full-article.htmAnd some pictures
Google dwarf crayfish pictures

JDWebb01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! I just wanted to say that your tank is gorgeous! I’ll be eagerly watching and waiting to see what becomes of this beautiful tank <3
Thanks. This is the first one we ever did, the inspiration came from photographs I had taken at the Grand Canyon.

Also wanted to bring fissidens moss to your attention
Fissidens
Nice furry soft moss.

And flame moss grows straight up like flames
Flame moss
Yeah, I like those examples. The stuff I got doesn't excite me much, but we'll see. I hope it thickens up a bit, I wanted something that would hang over the edge of the rock after some time. Lets see what happens.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I like those examples. The stuff I got doesn't excite me much, but we'll see. I hope it thickens up a bit, I wanted something that would hang over the edge of the rock after some time. Lets see what happens.
Ok weeping moss is what you're looking for
Weeping moss

You're tank is amazing in all aspects if I haven't said it already! Sorry if i'm getting carried away, but this is my favorite tank! I've always loved the landscape and plants of the desert, and particularly the Grand Canyons, which I've never experienced. One thing i'd love to do is to experience a rainfall in the desert. I've heard the smell is amazing, and ppl often open their windows to let the air in. I find it fascinating. Anyway, now i'm getting MTS ideas for my living room which is already desert themed lol.

JDWebb01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think many overlook the beauty of such ruggedness of the desert. While some opt for flower gardens and green well kept grass, I love the diversity of the desert. While not exactly what a desert might look like, I wanted to imprint the idea of a desert in the viewers mind. Like looking at a painting, the painter will paint what he wants you to see, it just might take a moment for you to see it. Anyway, thank you, you've been a big help angelcraze! And for those thinking of doing a scape similar to this, look at photographs and let them be your inspiration.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom