Slow 45 Gallon Build/redo

1. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

My 55 gallon is due for a redo, I don't like it's look right now. So, I'm redoing it. Warning: this will be a slow build because I'm 14 and money is hard to obtain.

It's look I dont like are in the pictures. What I'm keeping in the tank that is there now is the cave, white rock, and my botia loach, Platy, and tetra. I will be restocking as well. 0c765dd010b3c8a891ebf8d7cfc4d517.jpg d31b20ac72ec3d89b88d8bc66034822c.jpg 40644c248243563d1347657a0f0c6f92.jpg
  2. aneesomar Initiate Member

3. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Yep, that's why I'm redoing it. Using Black Diamond substrate, and going to buy driftwood and several different plants. Also restocking but keeping my main 3 fish. I'm going to get black skirt tetras, praecox rainbowfish, panda cories, and rainbow cichlids.

Drained my tank and moved the fish so I can change the substrate. Feeling bad because Sharkie (loach) is probably stressed. Had a really hard time catching him. I drained the tank a bit before catching fish to make it easier, glad I did so, Sharkie was jumping out of the water to avoid the net. :l Tips for catching fish easier and in a less stressful way? I put just a tiny bit of aquarium salt in the 2.5 gallon they resided in while I did this.
    In the 2.5 I made sure to put a little cave I borrowed from my betta tank. Sharkie needs a cave to feel safe and secure.

Anyways, today I replaced the sand and gravel in the 55 with Black Diamond. Minnows will be rehomed but the other three are staying. Alice (mystery snail) is cruising around, Pinky and Mickey are swimming about, and Sharkie is in his cave. c65f472b9d97cb3ae4b6e3eac2b5d7c4.jpg
  4. aneesomar Initiate Member

yes wow no that looks much better i would sujest some java fern and java moss those are very hardy plants hornwort also grows crazy fast but it looks great

5. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

6. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Well, ordering the remaining things I need for my one betta tank today and then I can officially start saving up for my lights for the 55 gallon! Sorry that this will be so slow, guys.
  7. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Why not get Sharkie some friends? Loaches generally appreciate being in groups :) He would be more playful and outgoing with some buddies.

Can't wait to see this planted!

8. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Hm... I'm not sure if I have the room? I would love to get him some friends, but he's a pretty big loach (maybe not, but probably biggest fish I've kept). My planned stocking is:
    1 orange-finned/botia loach (botia modesta?)
    1 Platy
    8 black skirt tetras + 1 Glofish skirt tetra
    6 praecox neon dwarf rainbowfish
    9 panda cories
    2 rainbow cichlids

Maybe he would be friends with the cories? I just don't want to overstock.
  9. aneesomar Initiate Member

thats a great selection of plants and fish i cant wait to see it finished!!!
  10. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Me neither! Super excited!
    But, alas, money.

11. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I'd skip the cories for more loaches :)
  12. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Just made a new thread for advice for my loach.
    Loach Help!
  13. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

I second that, skip the cories and give sharkie some friends, he will be much happier and they make a great bottom dweller school.
  14. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

I would love to do that, but please see my loach help thread. I explain there why I don't think I can.
  15. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I would worry that your loach is going to end up bullying the smaller fish without a group. If you don't feel you could eventually upgrade your tank (completely understandable), you might want to consider rehoming him. I know you said he was a gift and you don't want to be rude... perhaps you could trade him in for a group of smaller loaches? You could then tell your gift giver that this one really got you into loaches, but you realized that type would get too big for your tank, so you switched him for a smaller type. Zebra loaches would be perfect in there!
  16. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

A group of zebra loaches would be perfect!
  17. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Thank you! I haven't seen any bullying, but it could be happening. I will look into rehoming. I think I will probably get panda cories, though, not another loach species. Will miss Sharkie, but I want what is best for him. I think if I rehome him his cave will go with him. Best method to go about rehoming?
  18. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

A decent local fish store would probably take him, or you could post on Craigslist. There is also a Buy/Sell/Free/Trade subforum on here.
  19. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Our only LFS I am not a huge fan of their care of their fish. I'll discuss it with my parents. :)
  20. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

So I've decided (it turns out my tank is 45 gallons) to change my stocking to just rainbow cichlid. I love watching Pinky and Mickey swim around together in that tank.