Sloping with Sand

FireflySky

Hoping someone can help me out with some aquascaping ideas. I'm trying to come up with a plan for my 40 gallon breeder. I have a piece of fake driftwood from Topfin, planning on using black diamond sand, and try light/ moderate planting.

So far, I just have the driftwood sitting in the tank, and I'm not super excited about it. It looks a bit flat and low to me sitting all by itself. I've debated trying real driftwood, but I don't have a lot of options locally and I'm not keen on ordering online. I feel like I would need to see/ feel it to make a decision.

I was thinking, perhaps if I sloped the sand I could raise the driftwood and get a little height that way. Maybe starting at the farthest left corner and slope towards front right?? I'd like the driftwood more towards the left of the tank, angled slightly, and maybe plant a little heavier in that area and have more open space to the right. I'd also like to have some interesting rocks to add.. maybe to try to support the slope on the left and a little "cave" to the right?

Would this sort of idea work? What adjustments should I make? From what I've been reading, it seems that sand always wants to flatten out. Is there a way to keep the sand from eroding?? I don't want an extreme slope or anything but I would probably want it at least 3-4x thicker than the rest of the tank.

This will also be my first attempt at planting, so I was going to aI'm for low light/ low tech. I don't believe carpeting would be an option. I'm not opposed to using Eco Complete on the one side of the tank if need be, if I can cap it with sand.

BluMan1914

To make slopes, you can get plastic, something like pvc plastic, cut it into pieces, slope the sand, then stick the pieces of plastic in the sand to act as a barrier. I would suggest stacking them, putting one behind the other about an inch part or so. I've got this idea on Google. There is even a company that sells things like this to make slopes. But cheaper to make them yourself.

CoachWalter

Check out the levels I made on the left with my sand using a long rock as a wall.

FireflySky

Thanks for the responses. I will try using rocks and if need be stick something in the sand to keep it at least mostly in shape.

CoachWalter

Have you tried it yet?

FireflySky

Not yet Been too busy with the holidays, so again the tank is on the back burner for now. I did get a couple rocks to play around with when I do.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Awesomeneptune
Replies
Views
pearle
Replies
Views
PeteStevers
Replies
Views