Slimey build-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayar

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello. My tank has recently finished cycling, and now I am noticing a strange white slime like build up in the intake and output tubes of my canister filter. The build up will sometimes break free from inside of the output tube and pieces of the slime will be thrown into my tank.

I try my hardest not to over feed (watch the fish and make sure the flake is all eaten and take out any uneaten flake). However, I do have four cory cats now and I feed them Hikari sinking wafers. It takes them a while to eat it all but it does end up all gone.

I also do water changes at least once a week (including gravel vacuuming).

Any ideas to get rid of this stuff?

OP
J

Jayar

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any other ideas? For now I'm going to switch my water conditioner to Nutrafin just in case. I can probably pick something else up this weekend if I need to.

I am also going to do water changes twice a week to see if that helps.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I think it's completely natural for your intake and out flow tubes to get covered with detritus. It's just a part of fish keeping. Unless you swap out the old tubes for new, chances are debris will be thrown back into the tank when you start the filter or sometimes simply because the filter is just running and it breaks free.

It may not be too pretty to look at for a few hours but it will filter out.

I don't change nor clean my hoses unless I have leak. This is one time I think that if it isn't broken don't fix it .

I've used many water conditioners over the years and it always happens.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom