Slime?

Cam1112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I've got some live plant cut-offs for my betta tank assuming I'd change them regularly (they're not that expensive and I don't want him to be bored) and I was wondering how long to keep them? It's only been about two - three weeks and they're growing a jungle of roots that my betta finds interesting but I'm worried they're making a lot of slimy residue. The surface water tension seems awfully high, trapping a lot of bubbles (nothing that looks like a bubble nest though) so I've been clearing it with a paper towel every morning. Could my plants be causing this? Should I remove them and get new ones or just keep fake plants?

Cam1112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Honestly not sure what kind of plants these are, or what you mean by melting, they don’t look to be in as good shape as when I bought them though, turning yellow at the bottom.
F78DFE9A-39DD-44BF-B20A-5D5C68C074D4.jpeg

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not familiar with that species, hopefully someone can identify.
Melting is the leaves turning to a dark transparent mush, as commonly seen with plants that are grown out of water.

Cam1112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mick Frost said:
I'm not familiar with that species, hopefully someone can identify.
Melting is the leaves turning to a dark transparent mush, as commonly seen with plants that are grown out of water.
Honestly, they probably are starting to melt them, I think I'll end up taking them out anyway. Thanks for your clarification

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The slime is biofilm. It’s usually in tanks with plants that doesn’t have good surface agitation.

Don’t scoop it up with a paper towel. Just let the towel sit on the surface and suck in water on its own.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom