Slime on plants

Tank101

I'm growing some water Lily's for my pond in a 10 gallon tank. I noticed some slime on the seed pods after a bit and the sprouts have them too. I've rinsed the seeds and tried to suck out as much as possible but it keeps coming back.
I have other plants stores in the tank too waiting for my pond to warm up so I can plant them. Should I be worried?

Mudminnow

It depends on the species, but some aquatic plants create a slime coating. I'm not sure why they do this. I've always assumed it is for protection. For example, water shield, Brasenia schreberi, is one that always seems the have a thick slime coat. If this is the case, there's no need to worry.

On the other hand, the other things that can create slime coats like that are molds and bacteria. These usually form around things like new drift wood or food that is left in the tank too long. If this is the case, it could mean there is something breaking down/being released into the water around the plants that is feeding this stuff. If this is the case, this may or may not mean there is a problem.

All in all, I would not worry about this slime too much. Keep an eye on it. But, I think it is more likely not going to be a problem.

Top Bottom