Slightly orange amano shrimp

1. vasyat Member Member

Hi. 2 days ago I added 6 amano shrimp to my 16 gallon tank. The same day I noticed 1 has a bit of an orange tinge. I know they turn orange when they die so is this a sign of sickness or just natural coloring (although the rest are clear/gray)? They had the same batch at the LFS for over 1 month and they are healthy. He seems to be fairly active. Tank parameters are: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 5, ph 7.8, temp 77.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Can we see a picture please?

3. vasyat Member Member

Sure. Attached is a pic of the orangish one and another more typical gray one for comparison.

Attached Files:

4. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I think you have a rare Amano shrimp;). I don't see anything wrong, so. Junne can tell you exactly if anything is wrong just incase I am weing

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with that type of shrimp :(
    The only thing I can think of is when overbred, they lose their coloring?????

Maybe someone else can chime in

6. vasyat Member Member

Just an update. The shrimp became more orange and opaque. 2 nights ago he was slowly picking at the substrate. One hour later, I noticed the platies and amanos very animated and noticed they were fighting over his body, which somehow now had no shell. The other 9 amanos are still doing great so I'm guessing it must have had to do with an issue with acclimation (I got him 1 week prior and he turned orange within a day of being introduced to the tank). Moral of the story is if your amano turns an orange tinge, based on my limited experience his days are numbered.