Slight Algae Issues

Discussion in 'Algae' started by MegaFish1117, Apr 20, 2018.

1. MegaFish1117Valued MemberMember

I've noticed a fair amount of what I think is brown algae growing... well, everywhere (substrate, decor, live and artificial plants, glass, even on the filter) and after doing some research, I've come across some treatment/prevention methods I want to try out. I think the cause is due to high nitrates or too long a light period. My main concern is that it grows on the java fern, which I know isn't good for it
    Stock: 2x Kribensis (which will occasionally nip at the algae, is this harmful?), 7x tiger barbs
    Let me know if these are good ideas or if I should try some other stuff
    - Adding more plants (I was thinking frogbit? It would help reduce nitrates and light reaching the bottom, but I have no idea where to start with that so help would be appreciated there too)
    - Adding a "clean up" crew to exploit the algae as a food source. This sounds all cool and good (I've always wanted some cherry shrimp) but I'm convinced they'd become an all-a-krib-can-eat seafood buffet.
    - A "Blackout" to kill off the algae... I have no idea if that'd even be a good idea with the stocking I have, so this is more of a last resort.

I know I ask a lot but I really do need help here, I have no experience fighting brown algae... again it seems the only problem its causing is its overgrowth on the java fern

2. Seth15Valued MemberMember

More than likely you are dealing with diatom algae, which you are correct is usually caused by high nitrates or too much lighting. First off what is the nitrate straight out the tap? Second what are the tanks current parameters?

I would combat the diatom algae by lowering the nitrate levels. Also cut back on the lighting. With your finger you could scrub off the diatom growing on the java fern. If nothing works you could try a uv sterilizer, but not 100% if that would work or not, I have only heard.

And finally the brown algae is not harmful if the fish nibble or eat it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  3. phantomValued MemberMember

I've found I have this algae in my tank I'm currently trying to keep the light on for shorter periods of time

4. MegaFish1117Valued MemberMember

I'll get back to you on that... I've found a bigger problem in the tank

5. Seth15Valued MemberMember

What does that bigger problem appear to be? Is there any way we can offer advice or help through this forum?

6. MegaFish1117Valued MemberMember

One of my fish has fin issues, and already have a separate forum where I asked about it

7. Seth15Valued MemberMember

Oh ok. I hope it's fins get better

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice