Slender Rainbowfish, Melanotaenia Gracilis Male Or Female?

Sunil G

Reaction score
Hi,

I have bought 5
Slender Rainbowfish(Melanotaenia gracilis) and I was told it's a rainbow tetra! Anyways I had few Buenos Aires Tetra and I had to move them quickly after watching them starting to nip my rainbow fish. Now my RFishes are stress free but I need to know which is a male and a female. 1 among the fish seems to have chosen it's spot and swims there alone(I think it's a male??), while the remaining 4 are in a school..
I couldn't identify the hump and no hump on any of the fishes.. they are now 2" long..Could someone help me how to find it's sex?
If any info or pictures are required let me know.
Thanks,

OP
S

Sunil G

Reaction score
1519623559393938880844.jpg

Image above, day 2 all the five fishes do stay together.. but I still don't know which ones are males and females

RobM

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have a look at this video. The males have much longer and more colorful fins while the females are typically drab.

OP
S

Sunil G

Reaction score
RobM said:
Have a look at this video. The males have much longer and more colorful fins while the females are typically drab.

Hi,
Thanks for the video, I could differentiate the fishes in the video, but could you please check the pic of my fishes and determine the same?

RobM

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They kind of all look like males with a possible female being the middle one on the left.

But, they don't look like gracilis. With gracilis the coloring is along the edges of the fins & tail. The solid red tail on yours dosn't look right.

What country are you from? Gracilis are not very common here in the US.

New Threads