Slender and Hellven, the Axolotls... Update!

1. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Their sand was lookin' really funky for some reason, so they got almost a complete tank water change, and a little bit of redecoration...

They also got a new white Mystery Snail, but the snail went MIA...

Hellven has grown so much since I first got her...
    Slender, still no sign of growth...

B1E62FAA-E233-4993-84EA-5C181ECC04F5_zpsq4krs6ii.jpg 5CF92B8C-85BA-4ACF-BBB8-98CBEDD0F4EE_zps9pkbn1t5.jpg A32C11C7-D946-4A9E-B4A5-68F48D198BFA_zpsuki0kfxk.jpg

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Awwww. :p Haven't heard about them in awhile. She is doing amazing!! And slender over there is a different story. Poor guy. Did you try the earthworms?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. blusshed Well Known Member Member

No I actually decided to wait a bit...

Since Hellven is almost double his size, and considering she already eats considerably more than him, on top of being a much aggressive eater, I don't want her being a bully... (She can get pretty IT'S MINE with the bloodworms)...

My hubby is going to dig some up tomorrow and I'll blanch them and give him one... See how he does... But he barely seems to like bloodworms (doesn't eat much - at least not as much as Hellven)... So I'm afraid a big worm (even a small worm) will deter him from eating altogether... Only reason why I have decided to wait for that method... And if he waits, Hellven waits... Ha.

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Hes just living up to his name.

Dont know anything about them but hopefully he is alright and just got a short gene if thats possible with them or something like that

5. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Beautiful Axolotls! How do you care for them? What size of tank do they require? These really intrigue me!

6. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Exactly!
    Weird little guy!

He hasn't gained any weight, or grown at all from what I can tell...

7. blusshed Well Known Member Member

They are fully aquatic, so you basically set up a fish tank, with sand, or bare bottom, because they can eat the gravel and become impacted. They need cool water, so no need for a heater, and if your tank seems to be too warm a clip on fan blowing over the surface seems to work, they don't need any light, as they are sensitive to light, so they need caves (as pictured in my tank) and they appreciate plants (fake, since they'd eat and dig up real plants), and very little to no water flow, so which ever filter you would choose would need to be baffled. Mine has a floating turtle shelf under the outflow, they still don't seem stressed in the least... If they ever do seem stressed I would baffle the outflow more.

Older axxies eat earthworms, that is the most basic staple diet, and they really shouldn't need anything else. Younger axxies can be (hand fed or tweezer fed) live black worms, frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp (basically impossible, I tried).

Thats basically it! :) they shouldn't be handled, since their skin is so sensitive, but I've very lightly touched both of mine to scoot them over, they don't seem to notice at all.

They really are a cool pet!

Oh! And longer tanks are better than taller tanks for these guys, they say you can keep one adult in a 10gal, but 20gal is better, but I have 2 in a 20gal long, and if I ever felt there was a problem or they didn't have enough space I would set up the 10gal for one of them to call home, or upgrade to a larger tank if needed.

8. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Ohh ok good ideas :)
    It is very strange that he hasn't gained weight or gotten bigger. hmmm ??? I'm thinking just try the worm like you said. Feed him like a baby, pack his tummy full of protein rich food and always make sure it's full. You might have to target feed him even more to achieve this... I know you are taking great care of them! I mean it shows in hellven. :D It's just something about slender that isnt right and we have to figure out what it is.
    and by no means is it your fault.

9. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Well, they both ate bloodworms for breakfast, and a worm for lunch...

Slender seemed to almost choke, then couldn't swim, then could swim but sunk rapidly, now he's fine, and just relaxing as far as I can tell, And (as usual) Hellven did fine munched down her worm and was on her way...

I wish Slender would just grow! Even just a little bit!

i can't give up and return him, because someone with no idea about axxies could get him and he would surely die then... He's barely doing good with me...

His is toe is completely grown back, and he doesn't seem to have any other injury or issues, so let's see if the worms do the trick.

i also just found this....
    image.jpg
    Maybe that's what happened with Slender...
    hopefully he pulls through.

10. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Wow yea that sounds exactly like slender.. hopefully he does pull through, he might not get as big as he is supposed to but hopefully he just gets healthy.

I also remember when I was doing researchvon them, that when they lose a toe or a limb they will stop growing for awhile so that they can focus on growing back that limb. Idk if that's the reason, but maybe it was part of it??

11. blusshed Well Known Member Member

yeah I knew that would stunt him even more, so now I think he's just doomed to be tiny.

even if he only gets as big as Hellven is now I'd be happy. I could always move him to the 10gal alone if he grows but not much. Especially if Hellven started picking on him.

poor little guy!